Kate's Reviews > Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith

Nov 26, 08

liked it
Read in November, 2008

Geez, I don't quite know what to say about this book. It was inspiring, interesting, and entertaining, but it made me feel kind of bad about myself. I wish that I could be as awesome as this teacher, but I think I might be too selfish. I just don't see myself getting to school at 6:30 a.m. and staying until well after dinner time. I like to think that when I start teaching I'll be dedicated to my students but it's hard to believe that I'll be as dedicated as this guy.

The book did make me think about ways to incorporate things that might not be in the curriculum into the classroom, though I know that I won't be able to do that as soon as I start teaching. Rafe Esquith has been teaching in the same school for over 20 years and is celebrated nationally as a great teacher, which he is, but that means that he has more freedom than a lot of teachers to to buck the system without being fired. But maybe there's a way to do some of these things more on the down low in smaller ways. Damn the man!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire.