Manny's Reviews > Use of Weapons

Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks

Nov 09, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts
Read in January, 2006, read count: 1

I'd prefer to sit on the floor, thanks. No, really! I'll feel more comfortable that way.

I'm sorry? Oh, just something I read. It doesn't matter. To be honest, I'd rather not talk about it.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Use of Weapons.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh?

Lori (Hellian) Damn! I wish I remembered this book well enough to know WTH you are talking about. :D But I do remember loving it.

message 3: by Kasia (new)

Kasia The only explanation I can think for this crypric review is that if you sit on the floor you're less likely to be hit by a bullet. Bullets usually fly higher than that, on the window level.

Robert It's because of The Chair!

message 5: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Damn it, Manny, now I'm going to have to read it to figure out what your review meant.

Manny It's one of his best books! But you might also find that you prefer sitting on the floor for a while...

Robert I'd say definitely his best novel if it wasn't for the fact that I haven't read his most recent two mainstream books.

Lori (Hellian) I have, and while I enjoyed those immensely, I do think Use of Weapons tops those. Even if I can't seem to remember a thing about The Chair!

Robert I can't really drop any more hints without risking spoilers...

Lori (Hellian) I'm going to re-read this. I see I haven't rated this one, altho there are many books I've read before joining GR that aren't on my book list. And while I'm pretty sure I read this during my Banks marathon after discovering him, could I have not????

Robert Well, I 've read it 3 times at least, so I think it's worth it, even if it turns out you have read it before.

message 12: by Brad (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:13AM) (new) - added it

Brad I love this review, Manny. Although I've been looking at chairs all day and thinking, "Hmmm ... I need to sit in that."

Manny Brad! You haven't!

Okay, I can see you were only saying it for the shock value...

message 14: by Brad (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:15AM) (new) - added it

Brad I suppose I was going for shock value a bit. I was thinking more along the lines of "I have to sit on it and just get past the shiver down my spine."

Charlie George Brad wrote: "I suppose I was going for shock value a bit. I was thinking more along the lines of "I have to sit on it and just get past the shiver down my spine.""

Humdinger!

message 16: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j i was sitting in a chair as i finished reading this. i disgust myself.

message 17: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I'm re-reading it right now. I thought of the chair as I saw your review, but also I thought of avoiding angry knife missiles (as I had just finished the scene where Skaffen-Amtiskaw gives new meaning to the term "overkill")