Nancy Wood's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

419678
Aug 02, 12

Read in August, 2012

I loved reading this book. It kept me engaged and I would stay up past bedtime reading "just one more chapter." Grissom's approach of having two different narrators really gave insight to how Belle & Lavinia's lives grew in different directions and how their own views of their world were formed by what they experienced, knew, and where they'd come from.

For me, the numerous characters were sometimes difficult to follow--more than once I'd have to refer to earlier chapters to remember relationships, etc. I had mixed emotions about how some of the events in the book are not fully explained, leaving it to the reader to surmise what transpired, although in the end I decided I liked that element of the writing.

However--one aspect that keeps me from giving this 5 stars is the simple fact that there is no happiness in this book. Really no joy or satisfaction that something "gets made right." Bad things just happen, often, and life goes one, albeit a permanently altered life. Realistic I suppose, but I would have liked to have seen the characters have more occasion to celebrate, in spite of their circumstances...and some redemption, somewhere, of the evil that existed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.