Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > The Sword-Edged Blonde

The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite
Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

What a fantastic book! A friend recommended this to me because he knows I like the Garrett novels by Glen Cook—i.e. hardboiled detective in a fantasy setting. And that's a good description of this book as well, though it isn't really that similar to Cook's novels in anything more than a basic tone.

Eddie LaCrosse is a middle-aged sword jockey known for both his skill at arms and his intelligence (oh, and discretion). If you need someone to poke into dark holes that might poke back, he's your man. And, in keeping with all hardboiled detective stories, Eddie is a fascinating blend of cynic and optimist who lets his heart lead him into trouble his head (and arm) will need to get him out of.

This book is an establishing story that explores Eddie's past as much as his present case. In it, you get to find out why is who he is and why he does what he does. It's a great kickoff to the series and I highly recommend that, unlike my friend, you start with this book if you're going to take it on. Eddie's past isn't pristine, by any measure, and Bledsoe does a fantastic job giving us all the parts that make up this complex character and why his motivations play out the way they do—why he loves deeply but has avoided the ones he loves and why he still honors those friendships when they call to him in their hour of need.

The best parts of what I loved about the story are hugely spoilerific, so I'll just stick with how great the character is and how engagingly the story is presented. Seriously, this is easily one of my favorites for the year and will be put on my “re-read soon” list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword-Edged Blonde.