Ava Oceana's Reviews > Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

U 50x66
Aug 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: arcs, realistic-fiction-romance, young-adult, e-books, two-stars
Recommended for: People who aren't feminists.
Read from August 16 to 30, 2012

ARC supplied by NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for a honest review.

I had high hopes for CONFESSIONS OF AN ANGRY GIRL when I started, I really did. The premise was interesting, the cover was gorgeous, and at the time (technically, still) I was also angry. I wanted to see how another pissed-off bitch handled it.

CONFESSIONS OF AN ANGRY GIRL takes you through the life of Rose Zarelli, a fourteen year-old who's had everything taken away: her father's life, her mother's will, her brother's caring, and her friend's old personality. Enter Jaime Forta, the older guy who's dating cheerleader Regina (who's even more wicked than MEAN GIRL'S Regina George), who kissed Rose. Regina's mission: make Rose's life a living hell.

Slut-shaming is wrong - just because a girl wears shorts and boots and accents her boobs doesn’t mean she’s a cheap whore; it means she's self confident and that's a great thing. It doesn't mean she's a 'whore', period.

However, I also believe there is a fine line between a revealing outfit, and dancing in a mini-skirt with only your bra on a cold night at fourteen, in front of a bunch of horny teenage boys who’d have sex with a girl (and I wouldn’t put them past date rape) and then immediately start treating her like crap.

description

Rose is a horrible heroine, if you can even call her that. She complains about everything. Everything. If she was truly livid, she'd scream at Tracy until the stupid bitch thought about what she was doing, she'd slap Jaime, she'd go after Regina waaaaayyy before she did, and we should be able to sense her fury. She wasn't angry like I expected. She was pretty much normal until the ending, when she snapped. Rose didn't have fun once - she didn't even try to act like she wasn't a bitter sixty-year old.

Rose was put in sticky situations, but the way she handled them didn't help her case. I felt for her, truly. Her life was chaotic and she had to deal with Tracy, her 'best friend'. But I just couldn't deal with her character. She didn't have to be such a boring party-pooper for everything. CONFESSIONS OF A BITCHY GIRL was what it should have been called. After a while, it was just like:

Jaime. Jaime, oh Jaime. I don't understand why Rose was so infatuated with him, or him with her. This guy was not interesting. Okay, so he's older and he's hot. Also, he has a troubled past (haven't you noticed that's the new YA requirement?) and he's dating a cheerleader.

Speaking of cheerleaders, Regina, his girlfriend, is not your typical bitchy cheerleader found in YA novels. Actually, she is.... but worse. Regina scared me half to death, but it's true that not all cheerleaders are horrible. I mean, honestly. What is it with all these demoness cheerleaders?! They're cute girls who wave pom-poms. They're not a special species of evil.

Regina, tormenting anyone she didn't like, resembles PRETTY LITTLE LIARS's Alison diLaurentis more than anything. She's twisted and cruel, and I wouldn't want to encounter her... ever.

Tracy is one of the worst friends I have ever encountered. I'm sorry, but if I was Rose, I couldn't have survived with her as a friend. She's the girl trying to fit in with the popular crowd, even if it means betraying her 'best friend' and doing so many wrong things I lost count. Tracy dates a fucking asshole, kisses up to the cheerleading squad, and completely ignores Rose and her advice. All Rose tries to do is help her, and Tracy just brushes her off and regrets it later. Tracy's very ME ME ME ME ME. She could've sacrificed herself at the end of the book to save their friendship and I still wouldn't have forgiven her. The things that she did can't be.

CONFESSIONS OF AN ANGRY GIRL is full of girls discovering the teenage world of sex, guys, alcohol, kegs, police, fake IDs, and all-around evil people. Also, gynecology and-

TMI, And I don't mean THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS.

A little bit of what saved this book is Rozett's clear writing, which could have been better if Rose was actually intelligent and fun. I also found myself wanting to read more and more of CoaAG, even if I hated it.

In the end, it was a 'meh' book for me. Perhaps I'll read the next one. I don't know yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Angry Girl.

08/17/2012 page 25
9.0% "...because how did we know what love was in elementary school?

"
08/17/2012 page 26
10.0% "I am so confused right now. Wait, how did she meet Jamie again? I thought she was a freshman. Or did she know him via her older brother?"
08/17/2012 page 27
10.0% "My character's brother died like that too."
08/18/2012 page 28
10.0% "Rose doesn't seem very angry. She seems bitchy and annoying, that's what." 3 comments
08/18/2012 page 30
11.0% "I think I'm not going to enjoy this book. *headdesk* Whyyyy, universe, why?"
08/22/2012 page 57
21.0% ""I don't think we should still have cheerleaders that prance around in short skirts repeating stupid rhymes, flashing their underwear to cheer on boys without doing so much as a cartwheel. It's the twenty-first century - shouldn't we be more evolved than this?"

Horny teenage boys won't evolve, sweetie."
08/23/2012 page 31
11.0% "He was listening to Coldplay and I assumed he just wanted to dissect the album and explain why he thought Chris Martin was such a hack.

" 3 comments
08/25/2012 page 100
37.0% "*poker face*"
08/29/2012 page 188
69.0% "I have like a hundred more pages to go. Ugh. I'm going to try to finish 50 pages tonight." 1 comment
01/29/2016 marked as: read

Saniya How much have you read? :D

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "How much have you read? :D
Even I got an ARC of this. ^.^ I was thinking of doing a buddy read with you. xD"

I haven't started yet. Sounds good! Message me when you want to start; I'll have to read in a couple hours because I'm out now.

Saniya YES! :D I am totally free right now. When you come back, just tell me and then we will start reading.

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "YES! :D I am totally free right now. When you come back, just tell me and then we will start reading."

I'm going to clean my room and then take a shower and eat, so you can decide if you want to start late tonight or tomorrow morning. Message me on Yahoo so we can keep up with each other and discuss it. ;) This is my first time doing a read-along, so I'm excited. :D

Saniya Okay so where do you live in USA because the time difference would kill the fun. We need to plan everything. :D Because its Friday where I am living right now. And I am sure its Thursday for you right now.
What about Facebook? Facebook is much easier to use or what about Whatsapp? Do you have it in your mobile? :D We will use Yahoo if you want.
My first time too! EEE! Okay I am excited too! XD

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "Okay so where do you live in USA because the time difference would kill the fun. We need to plan everything. :D Because its Friday where I am living right now. And I am sure its Thursday for you ri..."

You can text me from an app I have called TextNow... I don't have to pay because it's on an iTouch, without wireless, so we're good on that. Email me and I'll send you the number.

You're right, it is Thursday - currently 9:02 PM. I live in South Florida.

message 7: by Saniya (last edited Aug 16, 2012 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Saniya Awh, my mobile sucks. Its saying you can't download because memory is full. -____- Yahoo it is then.
Okay, 7 hrs difference. O.O LOL!
We can start Tomorrow (Its already tom for me) you free around 5-6pm?
I am totally free for many hours after its 5pm (for you) so we can then. :D

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "Awh, my mobile sucks. Its saying you can't download because memory is full. -____- Yahoo it is then.
Okay, 7 hrs difference. O.O LOL!
We can start Tomorrow (Its already tom for me) you free around..."

You don't have to download the app. Also, I'll be gone from 3:30 to 6-ish tomorrow.

Saniya Okay then 7pm is okay with you? :D

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "Okay then 7pm is okay with you? :D"

I'm sure that good. :) I'll message you at that time.

Saniya Okay done! :D
FINALLYYY! xDDD

Saniya Hey! I came as soon as I can, super sorry! You online?

Ava Oceana Saniya wrote: "Hey! I came as soon as I can, super sorry! You online?"

Yup! I'm on page 25. I'll wait for you.

Saniya YES! Okay then I will tell you when I will reach page 25. I will be quick.

Saniya Me on chapter 3 my twin. That scene with Jamie was funny :p

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I was supposed to read it this weekend too. :(

message 17: by Sarah Marie (new) - added it

Sarah Marie TMI. TMI, people! And I don't mean THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, dumbass.

Lol. A mean girl eviler than Regina George...hmm that's scary. I would read this book for just that reason, but I don't know if it's really my thing. Is it just me or are most bullies in YA named Regina? There's Regina from Mean Girls, Regina from Some Girls Are, and Regina from here. It's a pattern!

Ava Oceana Sarah Marie wrote: "TMI. TMI, people! And I don't mean THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, dumbass.

They want us to go, "oh, look, a cheerleader named Regina. She's evil, I can tell." :D

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

That rec.....WOW.

message 20: by Sarah Marie (new) - added it

Sarah Marie Oceana wrote: "Sarah Marie wrote: "TMI. TMI, people! And I don't mean THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, dumbass.

Lol I think so. I read somewhere that Regina meant queen. So maybe all the authors are all "It obviously means queen of the bees or cheerleaders."

message 21: by Ava Oceana (last edited Aug 31, 2012 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ava Oceana Sarah Marie wrote: "Oceana wrote: "Sarah Marie wrote: "TMI. TMI, people! And I don't mean THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, dumbass.

That's right. The word means 'queen' and the origin is Latin.

That's a tad cliché, though, don't you think?

message 22: by Sarah Marie (new) - added it

Sarah Marie Yes, yes it is. Authors are very cliche in YA though. That's the appeal in some writing though.

message 23: by Ava Oceana (last edited Sep 01, 2012 04:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ava Oceana Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "Where is the Russell Tovey gif from?

This is a great review, I am sorry about your family life being a hard right now *hugs*

Are the girls going on the pill solely for the birth control aspect? I..."

I got them all from Photobucket. ;) Thanks! It took me forever, which was weird. -.- I know. Life is chaotic right now.

Tracy wanted the birth control pill because she didn't want to use condoms, so she peer-pressured Rose to go the the gynecologist to get them too. Rose kept telling her she could get STDs, but Tracy... uh. This girl. She doesn't listen.

Saniya Your review = same as my review and thoughts will be = <33
No wonder we are twins. xD
Hahaha, I loved that TMI thing! :D
On the other hand, I just hope things get better for you and your family. (INSHALLAH)

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina Wilder You've inspired me. I'm going to make a list of "feminist YA books." Or maybe you can help me make it. Or maybe I'll just keep eating Peppermint Pattys and feeling meh. Stay tuned!

message 26: by Despair (new)

Despair Speaking Fourteen?! Agreed it's too young.

And even though I've heard about your home situation before, it still makes me sad. I hope things will get better soon although it's not likely. But hey I can hope. Great review as always.

Ava Oceana Despair wrote: "Fourteen?! Agreed it's too young.

Thank you. :)

message 28: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Oh dear... I have this on netgalley. It doesn't sound good.

message 29: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin This book made me so angry that I didn't even wanna finish it. So I didn't. And I never will.

What made me so uncomfortable was the age. Rose's age and Jaime's age. And their age gap. I thought of it like this: so rose is barely a teenager and there's a guy that's almost an adult.

it just made me feel so uncomfortable.

Ava Oceana Caitlin wrote: "This book made me so angry that I didn't even wanna finish it. So I didn't. And I never will.

I had a slight problem with their age only because when you're young, it's a huge difference. Later in life, it evens out and I think it's okay, but I agree with you.