Priscilla's Reviews > Insurgent

liked it
Read from August 13 to 19, 2012

Surprised!

Initial thoughts:
1. So my questions were not answered; why these factions were created, and what's the deal with the gate? I think it's 2 books too long to actually find out why these conflicts are happening.
2. Not as annoyed with Tris as I thought I would be. I've accepted the fact that she acts first, and thinks later. I like that she's proactive, she has the skills to protect others and defend herself, but of course this does not excuse her making terrible decisions.
3. I liked that we get to see character and personality traits of the different factions. The Erudites reminded me of Spock. :P
4. Peter was surprisingly interesting. I like the banter/bickering between he and Tris.
5. Pacing is excellent! Fast paced, and lot's of action driven side stories.

Check out my video book review here!
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

08/17/2012
53.0% 2 comments
08/18/2012
83.0% 1 comment
08/19/2012
100.0% "Sure, sum up all my questions in the last 10 pages... -__-; But overall, pleasantly surprised." 2 comments

Miranda This book was so disappointing!! I can't wait to see your thoughts.

Izzat Zainal Since you stated in your video that you wanted to know more about the factions and how it works in the society, I don't think you'll get disappointed with the book.

Sarah Such a good book! I think i may like this series better then the hunger games trilogy.

Christopher YOU WILL LOVE THIS BOOK PRISCILLA!!!

Linguana @Izzat: Well, we do visit all the factions but we don't really learn anything new of how this weird society came to be in the first place. It's still the story's weakest point and now Veronica Roth managed to write an entire book, dodging the big question. I suppose we'll find out in book three but, come on, this was really lame, plot-wise.

Sally Tris was unbearable in this book.

Daisy Leather I just finished this, I thought it was awesome but Tris was FAR TOO self-sacrificing the ENTIRE time. It started to get quite annoying, but we do seem to gain more insight into this strange place. Divergent was better :)

Linguana My biggest problem is that the society is unbelievable. It's unconvincing. With other dystopian novels you can kind of see where it came from, why society developed in a certain direction. Here, if we're really honest with ourselves (and I loved the first book, too), the society is just ridiculous. Why would people have to jump on moving trains? What purpose does this serve, why does the community as a whole need that? I was hoping for a somewhat reasonable explanation but oh no. We just continue suspending a whole lot of disbelief.

Izzat Zainal Linguana i agree with you. But then if you read till the end of Insurgent, I start to feel that the whole society is just an experiment. (YOU KNOW WHY IF YOU READ INSURGENT). (view spoiler) That's just my honest opinion. I think this book is great.

Linguana @Izzat: Definitely. And I look forward to book three. But still, if that was the big moment where we get a glimpse of the truth, why did we need a whole book in between? Just for drama? To show how Tris' character changed? Meh.

message 11: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I got Divergent but I haven't read it. I know it's going to be good, and I'll finish it quickly.

Gabriele I finished today and it was amazing! Hope you like it :)

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I'm a little over halfway through this book. I was really excited about Insurgent since I loved Divergent so much, but so far I've been kind of disappointed. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it though.

message 14: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Just finished this 5 minutes ago. Great book. @mary: I felt the same way but it definitely comes together in the last 1/4 of the book. It was awesome.

Pauline Reading the last chapters now (:

message 16: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Midway through! Are you enjoying it? Blog post in 2 days...

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary @Rob You were right! It is definitely getting more interesting toward the end. Thanks for keeping me reading!

Jessica I really liked the first book but I just couldn't get into this one. It just felt like a filler book to me :/ I hope the third will be better because I'm still interested in what will happen.

Miranda Jessica wrote: "I really liked the first book but I just couldn't get into this one. It just felt like a filler book to me :/ I hope the third will be better because I'm still interested in what will happen."

I agree Jessica. I was NOT a fan of this book. So much of it just seemed like random unnecessary events.

Nichole I haven't read this one yet. I've read the first one, however the third book isn't coming out until some time next year, so I'm holding off until it gets closer that time. I think.

Beatriz please rate it

Eaunice A good book (: A bit disappointing on the development of Tris' character though.. Can't wait to hear your thoughts (:

message 23: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi You can check out my thoughts on my blog. It's at didibooksenglish.wordpress.com

message 24: by Claudia (new)

Claudia so the "Divergent" book is just the first part of a series?

message 25: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Yrs and the 3rd part is coming out at some point in 2013

message 26: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Deirdre wrote: "Yrs and the 3rd part is coming out at some point in 2013"

oh, thank you. i got the first one. hope its worth it!

Rhiannon I disagree with the general gist of what people are saying, I actually adored Insurgent nearly as much as Divergent! But I guess that's a personal opinion.

Gonçalo My copy is flying from the UK!

Becky thank you!! i thought i was th eonly one who really like peter in this! lol, awesome reveiw! i agree on everything!

Taylor omg yes the Erudites are like Spock.