Brianna Lee's Reviews > Learning in the Dark

Learning in the Dark by Margaret Sarah Bechtel

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: arr, reviewed, romance, drama
Read on August 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Stand up and clap your hands for Margaret Sarah Bechtel! *claps very loud* 4.5 STARS! Awesome book! “Learning in the Dark” is full of emotion from start to finish. Every emotion imaginable – anger, sadness, joy, despair, hope, and more are expressed in this book. Bechtel did such a great job of making the reader feel and really care for these characters. I found myself talking about this book to people and thinking about it when I wasn’t even reading. I love when that happens! It was a book that I wanted to see what happened next, but didn’t want to end. I definitely recommend “Learning in the Dark” to anyone looking for an all-around good read, though I suggest the reader be at least a mature young adult due to some scenes and words. I plan on reading more of Margaret Sarah Bechtel’s work, including her first novel “In the Land of Winter.”

This story is told by four different points of view (Lynn, Sophie, Carter, and Davis); the main voice however is Lynn Moore. Lynn was blinded when she was ten years old in a horrible accident caused by a group of kids. Kids mess around with other kids all the time and don’t end up blind, but in this case…Lynn did. Fortunately for Lynn she was able to live a pretty normal life. Things did get a little more complicated when she went to med school and was reunited with Carter. Carter was one of the kids from the accident – you can just imagine that first encounter between him and Lynn. Carter’s older brother Davis (also from the accident) is in a relationship with Lynn’s best friend, Sophie – you can also imagine that encounter when Lynn found out. So, with all the connections everywhere Lynn is forced to face her past. Will Lynn continue to hate the boys who caused her to be blind? Will she forgive and forget? Or will Lynn forgive them and try to get to know them…perhaps even develop a relationship?

I really enjoyed everything about this novel. I liked that I was able to get into the heads of more than one character. Being able to see the thoughts and feelings of Lynn, but also the emotions of the people who caused her accident was genius. I give this book 4.5 STARS out of 5 STARS. It was a near flawless book except there were a few teeny-tiny editing mistakes. I think everyone should definitely check out “Learning in the Dark” though, it is just such a moving novel. I haven’t read a book that made me feel so much in a long time. Go add Margaret Sarah Bechtel to your to be read list and make sure “Learning in the Dark” is at the top!

Brianna Lee Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning in the Dark.