Shawna's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: gothic-romance, historical-romance, historical-romance-victorian, paranormal-romance, pnr-vampires, steampunk, hero-tattalizing, tattoos-piercings-body-art, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-antihero-gamma, urban-fantasy, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, hh-deaf-mute-speech-disorder, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-alpha, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-brooding, hero-cad-rake-rogue-scoundrel, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-classy-lady, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-good-girl-nice, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-pygmalion-theme, hh-riches-to-rags, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, i-read-library, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, steam-2-warm, steam-3-hot, villain-uber-bad-nasty, violence-reader-discretion-advised, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, action-packed, bec-mcmaster-london-steampunk, 2012-reads, 4-to-5-stars, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, badasses-hunks-in-leather, best-faves-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-black-sheep, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-warrior, wager
Recommended for: Fans of paranormal and/or steampunk romance
Read from September 27 to 29, 2012

4 ½ stars – Paranormal Romance/Steampunk

It’s been a while since I’ve read such an imaginative paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has penned a noteworthy debut that’s bold, inventive, engrossing, and sensual. I really enjoyed this!

McMaster has crafted an intricate, alternate London set historical with memorable, complex characters and unique elements of paranormal, steampunk, vampires, and verwulfen blended seamlessly without excessive world building to bog down the pacing or impede the romance. The dark, eerie Whitechapel setting gives the story an authentic gothic resonance and provides lots of danger, intrigue, thrills, and chills.

Blade, “the devil of Whitechapel”, is a captivating, sexy hero with a fascinating mix of tortured soul and primal alpha male who’s at times brutal yet intimately tender and protective of those he cares about. He’s rough, growly, ruthless, and possessive, has a caring heart of gold, and yearns for affection, trust, and peace. Blade reminded me a little of Charming Mickey from Elizabeth Hoyt’s Scandalous Desires at times but with more of a predator, supernatural edge and a somewhat softer, gooier center. In other words...YOWZA!

Honoria Todd is a strong, brave heroine and I both admired and wanted to strangle her at times for being so stubborn, proud, and loyal to a fault. It drove me crazy that she continually resisted and rebuffed Blade, no matter what he did or how hard he tried. Blade and Honoria engage in quite a bit of bickering, sparring, and bantering and have some seriously explosive chemistry. And when she finally comes to her senses I nearly screamed...well, it’s about time!

Kiss of Steel is a terrific, original debut that’s dark, passionate, intense, emotional, and satisfyingly steamy. I’m looking forward to the next book, Heart of Iron.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

09/27/2012
20.0% "This is really cool so far! Very original!"
09/30/2012
100.0% "Really enjoyed it! Review to come."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I really loved this one! It took me by surprise

Shawna Ditto, Suzanne! It's one of the more original paranormal romances that I've read in a while and I seriously crushed on Blade!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yes, I also crushed on Blade, I am not normally a complete sucker for the wounded alpha male, but he definitely pulled me in! I liked the world it was set in, I thought it sold be more of the same but it has some great twists in it

Jill Fantastic review, Shawna! I agree about the comparisons between Blade and Charming Mickey. I tell you it's their speech!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Shawna. I'm not much into Steampunk but I think I'll give this one a try.

Shawna Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Yes, I also crushed on Blade, I am not normally a complete sucker for the wounded alpha male, but he definitely pulled me in! I liked the world it was set in, I thought it sold be more of the same ..."

Well, I love me some tortured alphas and he definitely won me over! And yes, the setting was fabulous!

Shawna Thanks, Jill! Good observation about their speech! It's funny that Blade's cockney speech was such a source of irritation for Honoria 'cause I found it so endearing and sexy!

Thanks, Kristen! I'm honestly not a big Steampunk aficionado either, but I really liked it in this. I think maybe that's because the Steampunk elements are blended in well and not too overpowering or confusing. And the heart of the story is still the characters and strong romance.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) I was thinking that Blade reminded me of Lisa Kleypas' Derek Craven, with bite!

Shawna Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I was thinking that Blade reminded me of Lisa Kleypas' Derek Craven, with bite!"

Ohhh...I can see that, too! Niiiice! :)

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ hii..... soo just wondering.. any sex scenes here... is this erotic or just like there is a scene but can be skipped... thanx. :D

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) There are definitely sex scenes, not erotica though more like super hot and in complete keeping with the story.

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ well i don't read sex scenes, i skip them when they are present, so these can be skipped they are not like btw every couple of paragraphs?? the thing is i really want to read this..

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) No, only a couple of major ones but plenty of story inbetween.

Shawna Sorry for the late reply, but Lisa had my back. Yep, there are a couple of steamy sex scenes, but you could easily skip them and still enjoy the great characters and awesome, unique storyline.

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ thanx alot..i like the cover, and really want to read this.. plus the author of the book thanked kylia griffen the author of Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1) by Kylie Griffin in her acknowledgment, and i really love that book..