Copperfield Review's Reviews > The King's Agent

The King's Agent by Donna Russo Morin

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This was the first book I’ve read by Donna Russo Morin, and I’ve already downloaded her other books onto my kindle and I can’t wait to read them. Morin has everything I love about historical fiction in this book, from enriching descriptions about what life was life in 16th century Europe to romance to adventure and real life characters. I felt like I was drawn into the time period, and it’s a meaty story, long enough to give a lot of details to keep you enraptured and yet the plot never dragged and often turned in directions I didn’t expect. I liked that there was the male and female perspective in this book, something I find lacking in a lot of stories where you often only get the female point of view. There’s adventure as Battista pursues his mission, and I loved the love story between Battista and Aurelia because it’s touching. We know early on that there’s something odd about Aurelia, and in the end we discover what her secret is. The King’s Agent is a great combination of historical fiction and fantasy, and I enjoyed learning about real life characters like Michelangelo and Dante as well. As someone who loves art and took a lot of art history classes in college, I loved the focus on the artwork. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a lushly written piece of historical fiction set in the early Renaissance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Agent.