Erin's Reviews > The Expats

The Expats by Chris Pavone

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: crime-suspense, did-not-finish
Read from August 02 to 08, 2012

Hmm...I've been feeling a little scattered lately, in regards to book reading. This applies to multiple books. I've been having book infidelity, going from book to book. Book infidelity, like regular infidelity (I assume), is bad form: I don't concentrate on one well, I don't give the one I'm currently reading a fair shake, and I give all books involved short shrift. Oh, and then I feel guilty for reading one while not finishing the other. So why do I bother even picking another one up when I'm not done with others? It must tempt me with its wayward cover and interesting book jacket.

This book caught my eye because the owner of our local book store recommended it, and I just happened to see it on my college library's book shelf. Karma!

But the karma excitement didn't translate into book love...I liked it. Didn't love it, and I thought it was too slow-paced while trying to make the reader THINK it was suspenseful, but i didn't think it was. I was curious about the characters' back stories, but not enough to wade through the whole thing. I got through about 100 pages, skipped to the end (this is my M.O.), saw what the rest was about, and...was not sorry I missed the intervening 200 pages. I admire what Pavone was aiming for, and I thought the female lead was intriguing, but i was expecting to be grabbed when you're dealing with a story about an undercover agent, and I just wasn't. If he was going for a slow burn, it was one bridge too slow...or something. But the first 100 pages? Totally worth 3 stars! :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Expats.