Kathryn's Reviews > The Dark Is Rising

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, childrens, 2012-reads
Read in July, 2012

I am a complete and total sucker for this book. I love Will, I love Miss Greythorne, I love Mr. and Mrs. Stanton and Farmer Dawson and John Wayland Smith and Old George and Pollux, I love the Signs, I love the Doors, I love the Hunting of the Wren, I love Herne the Hunter and the Wild Hunt...I just absolutely love this book. It was the first book I read of the sequence, and my copy is falling apart from all the times I've read it. You know the song Will sings in Miss Greythorne's manor - the one that starts out, "White in the moon the long road lies/The moon stands blank above"? I made up my own tune to that song about twenty years ago, I've used it as a sort of chant for meditation/relaxation, and now I sing it to my baby as a lullaby. And speaking of songs, this book is about 60% of the reason why "Good King Wenceslas" is still one of my favorite Christmas carols today.

I simply can't overstate what The Dark is Rising meant to me as a wee one. I steeped myself in its story, in the poetry and the setting and the characters, to almost (but not quite) the extent to which I did the same with Lord of the Rings. I still have all the prophecies memorized. In fact, my husband's name is Will. (Okay, that was just a coincidence. But my love for the name William is at least partly inspired by this book, and now William is my son's middle name.)

So I can't possibly give you any sort of unbiased review or rating. I'll be a bit more temperate in my review of the others (especially Greenwitch, the one I read last and the only one I first read as an adult), but all I have for The Dark is Rising is uncritical, unceasing love. I look forward to introducing it to my son someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Is Rising.