Kathryn's Reviews > Over Sea, Under Stone

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, childrens, fantasy, young-adult
Read in July, 2012

I didn't read Over Sea, Under Stone until I had already read (and reread, and reread again and again) The Dark is Rising, The Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. In fact, I may have been in college by the time I read it. So my rating of this book doesn't benefit from nostalgia quite as much as the others, and I missed Will very much.

Over Sea, Under Stone is the introduction to the Dark is Rising sequence, which chronicles the quest to defeat the Dark once and for all. In this book, Simon, Jane, and Barney Drew, along with their parents, travel to Trewissick in Cornwall to meet a man they know as Great-Uncle Merry. During their holiday, they learn that Great-Uncle Merry is not quite a normal man, and they help him on his quest for the Grail, even as the quest is hindered by wicked men and women who themselves may not be entirely human.

This sequence is classic good versus evil low fantasy (and it's sort of an ancestor to today's urban fantasy genre, as it's set in the ordinary world). I don't think this particular book is as strong as the others (though that may be my bias speaking, as discussed above), but it is still a good read and a good introduction to the Drews.

I recommend the Dark is Rising sequence for anyone who likes low fantasy and quests and the like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over Sea, Under Stone.