Kurt's Reviews > House of Rain: Tracking a Vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest

House of Rain by Craig Childs

Apr 27, 09

bookshelves: history, native-american, nature
Read in April, 2009

I have been very interested in the archaeology and anthropology of the historic culture that modern scientists have dubbed the Anasazi ever since 1988 when my brother and I backpacked into the Grand Gulch of Utah where I got my first glimpse of the extensive artifacts left behind by these people. So, I hoped that by reading House of Rain I would get a little more insight and education on the subject.

In most ways, this book did not disappoint. It is partially a travelogue, which was very interesting to me just because I love to hear about other people's experiences in the wilderness areas that I am familiar with. The author spends a lot of time explaining some of his theories and describing the evidence he finds that supports his theories. This was all fairly interesting too.

My main problem with the book was that it was a little too long (450+ pages) and the writing style was just not that appealing to me -- a little too "prose-like" I guess.

Overall it was a good book that enhanced my appreciation of the legacy and the mystery of the Anasazi.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Rain.

04/16/2009 page 250
48.83% "Not enjoying this as much as I had hoped."