Bri's Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Feb 15, 2013

bookshelves: romance, chick-lit, favorites, book-boyfriends, supposed-to-make-me-swoon-boys, baby-daddy, best-of-2012-recs, 2012-favorites
Recommended to Bri by: Jaime Arkin
Read from February 14 to 15, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Fucking Goodreads. I just spent 45 minutes typing this review and it's over capacity. CAN WE GET AN AUTO-SAVE ALREADY? JESUS.

I will try to remember everything that I said, but basically I just want to cry right now.

If you're reading this review before you dive into the book, let me set your mind at ease: don't feel skeevy. I went into this book blindly, on a recommendation from my BFF. Granted, I sort of assumed it was a romance, so you can imagine my surprise and confusion when there was a bit of an, erm, age difference between our two main characters. For the first quarter of this book, I felt so conflicted (no, they can't get together! oh, god, please let them get together... omg, what will happen if they get together?! please, lord, let them get together...).

But I sat back. I let the story evolve. I let the author take me where she wanted me to go. I watched as the characters and the plot and the timeline moved forward seamlessly, beautifully. Garvis-Graves performed miracles in her realistic progression on both the timeline and the characters. Anna was strong and grounded. She was an amazing person, and I never once felt any sort of hostility toward her. Her feelings were so easy to relate to that I found myself empathizing with her in the most wonderful and painful ways.

But who really stole the show for me was T.J. It doesn't happen very often where I fall so utterly in love with a hero in a book. He was everything you hope for in a man. Strength and conviction and sincerity and quiet passion. After not very long, it was hard seeing T.J. as anything other than a man. After having gone through so much in his short years, it wasn't hard to imagine that he was so mature, or how it could possibly work with the two of them. As Anna answered when asked if she saw him as being young, she simply said, "I just see T.J." I would quote all the lines of his I could, but I would be A) quoting everything he ever said to Anna, and B) spoiling the entire book. (view spoiler)

While the first half of this book had me turning pages left and right, I have to agree with Jenny's review in that the time could've been split more effectively. In the second half of the book, I found myself getting a little bored and wondering when the climax of the story was going to come upon us.

And when it did? Oh, God. It hurt. I knew it was coming. I knew it had to happen. But, still. The pain. I haz it.

I'm also going to agree with Jenny and say I wish there had been more detailed love scenes. I think this author could've pulled off a little Jill Shalvis and left us with more than several fade to blacks (*shakes fist at FTB*), but nothing overtly graphic.

While there were a few problems I had with this book, I'm still rounding up to 5 stars because I want this to separate itself from the other 4 star books I've rated. Anything that has my undivided attention all day and manages to make me laugh, cry and swoon multiple times is going on my favorites shelf.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

36.0% "Engrossed."
48.0% "Flailing all the flails" 2 comments
08/02
70.0% "I'm tearing up all over the place."
72.0% "Brb, bawling."
08/02
88.0% "I knew this had to happen but OUCH."
08/02
91.0% "Scuse me while I go vomit."
08/02 page 329
100.0% "Wow. All the wows."
02/14 page 1
0.0% "Rereading on Vday because TJ SWOONS."
02/14
10.0% "Rereading this knowing TJ prefers wall sex is an entirely different animal. Trying not to perv right now"
02/15
100.0% "Yes I did stay up till 3am rereading this. I'm ridiculous. But TJ, man. TJ." 3 comments
03/21 marked as: read

Jenny E YES!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I was wondering all day what you would think. I was so torn in my review, because it captivated me all day, but it just was missing that "something"... I can't put my finger on what was missing...maybe the love scenes?!? I don't know, but I am really looking forward to more from this author, and I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too!

message 2: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Jenny E wrote: "YES!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I was wondering all day what you would think. I was so torn in my review, because it captivated me all day, but it just was missing that "something"... I can't p..."

I think she really did herself a disservice by dragging out the second half of the book. The urgent, all-encompassing feelings you had reading the first half sort of fizzled and that could've affected the rating.

But, yes, I wanted more (detailed) sex. I'm a whore. So sue me.

Jaime Arkin Do u know it's optioned for a film??? http://www.cinemablend.com/new/MGM-Op...

Jenny E Awesome! but I'm not sure I see the connection with 50 Shades of Grey!?!?! I mean, I didn't read the whole thing, but I don't see the connection at all, weird they mentioned it.

Jaime Arkin Jenny E wrote: "Awesome! but I'm not sure I see the connection with 50 Shades of Grey!?!?! I mean, I didn't read the whole thing, but I don't see the connection at all, weird they mentioned it."

Ugh I know... Apparently everything in the universe has to have a tie to fifty shades of shit... It's a good way to never get me interested in something. I have honestly not read stuff simply because of the analogy.

message 6: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri THEY DID NOT COMPARE THIS TO THAT PILE, DID THEY?!?

Jaime Arkin Bri wrote: "THEY DID NOT COMPARE THIS TO THAT PILE, DID THEY?!?"

it was just mentioned IDK where there would be ANY comparison... i mean this is good LOL

Kristen I loved your review, Bri! I agree with you about this book. Amazing. I hope the movie does it justice.

message 9: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Kristen wrote: "I loved your review, Bri! I agree with you about this book. Amazing. I hope the movie does it justice."

Thanks, Kristen. Me, too. If they get T.J. wrong, I will throw a fit of epic proportions.