Lindsay Heller's Reviews > City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, supernatural-teenagers-saving-the-w, ya
Read from August 02 to 06, 2012

'City of Glass' takes a major departure from the first two books in the Mortal Instruments trilogy in its complete change of location. The first two took place firmly in New York City, both Brooklyn and Manhattan. 'City of Glass' takes place mostly in the Shadowhunter's home country, Idris, and the capital city of Alicante.

Having learned that her mother's coma can be reversed with the help of a warlock living in Idris, Clary prepares to visit the Shadowhunter's home world for the first time. But Valentine is already there and this time he may have an inside man. Could this be the end of the Shadowhunters as we know them? Can Clary and Jace change what seems certain? And will the Clave get over themselves long enough to accept help from the Downworlders? All will finally be revealed, including the reality of truths long since accepted.

'City of Glass' is undoubtedly the most complicated of the series. And that's not surprising. It seems to be the role of the third book in a trilogy to deepen the story and show the audience that the groundwork that's been laid down was, in fact, laid for something.This wraps up the story well [SPOILERS] with a quite literal deus ex machina ending (which I'm okay with, 'cause how often does that happen these days?), the knowledge that our lovers aren't related by blood, peace to all Downworlder and Shadowhunters, and the mom FINALLY getting together with that BFF that's loved her all along the ending is very satisfying.

Which is why, for the life of me, I can't understand why Cassandra Clare decided she needed to revive these characters for a second trilogy. She already wrote a Victorian counterpart that takes place in the same universe. Some people don't know when to leave well enough alone. It's like that old tale that I can't remember the source of; someone walks into a kindergarten teacher's classroom and sees all kinds of wonderful art and makes comment that the older kids are delivering all kinds of crap while all these are Matisse's, every one. The teacher explains that it's just a matter of knowing when to take away the paintbrush. The actually story is much more prolific, but the point is that Clare REALLY doesn't know when to take away the paintbrush. I have decided I don't need to read the second trilogy. But someday I might pick up the Infernal Devices trilogy, I always did love me a little steampunk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.