Lynn's Reviews > Scumble

Scumble by Ingrid Law

F 50x66
Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: audio-books, fantasy, young-adult, j-fiction, middle-grade
Read from July 26 to August 02, 2012, read count: 1

gr.5+ David Kremenitzer has done an excellent job of reading this fun, delightful, coming of age story about a 13-year-old boy who has to learn how to control his "savvy." I read Savvy a while ago and have been looking forward to this second book. "Scumble" can be read alone, although a few of the characters like Rocket and Grandpa Bamba, play central roles and others, like Mibs, the main character in "Savvy", make brief appearances. Even though delightful on its own, reading Savvy first, I think, will increase the enjoyment of this story.

Initially, I had thought that this book would be Mibs' brothers stories. Turns out that it is primarily about a cousin instead. When Ledger Kale turns 13-yrs-old, he gets his savvy, although not the one he and his dad had hoped for. Instead of super speed, Ledger is like a Captain Destructo: his nervousness and built-up anger cause things around him to explode, and the harder he tries to control it, the bigger the damage. For example, during his cousin's wedding reception, he is trying his best to be on his good behavior, but when his sister and cousins tease him unmercifully and then he trips, his combined embarrassment and smoldering annoyance/hurt causes him to unintentionally destroy his uncle's barn, where the reception is being held. Ledger finally learns to "scumble," but I will let you read about how on your own!

I hope that Ingrid Law continues to write about this remarkable family. I would love to see what adventures Gypsy and Felicia get into, as they come into their own savvys. Hint, hint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scumble.

bennett Ingrid Law announces a third book is coming out and it will be about Gypsy.

Lynn Thanks! I will keep a look-out for Gypsy!