Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > Beautiful Ruins

Apr 30, 13

bookshelves: pearl-ruled
Read in August, 2012

Pearl Ruled

Rating: 2.5* of five (p88)

Story of romantic love at first sight ranging from 1962 to the present, and involving a staggering amount of cluttered narrative and facile, stereotypical characters.

The writing is perfectly serviceable, though without any distinguishing characteristics. It's like those MFA bores all are. I put this down three hours ago, and already I had to look up the main characters' names: Pasquale and Dee Moray.

In 10 minutes, I won't remember either one.

That is a big problem to have with a 337-page book.

PS: note to the review police...I don't care that you think I shouldn't have rated or reviewed the book because I didn't read the whole thing. Don't message me privately, and don't leave comments, as I will simply delete them.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Ruins.

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Naughty, naughty Richard! I've been hearing about these hidden reviews that your friends can see the review, but no one else. Do you know much about this? Would this review qualify to be hidden?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Not by me, it wouldn't be hidden. The idea is not to sneak. Or at least MY idea is not to sneak. I don't think anyone needs to explain or justify their use of this public space so long as it doesn't violate ToS.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Richard wrote: "Not by me, it wouldn't be hidden. The idea is not to sneak. Or at least MY idea is not to sneak. I don't think anyone needs to explain or justify their use of this public space so long as it doesn'..."

My understanding is GR is hiding the reviews that they deem negative without letting you know that your review has been so designated.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Oh, the PTB hidden. Well, it's nothing I can do anything about if they do that, and it's their website.

Bennet Didn't write a review but gave it fours stars -- one for the story and three for the cover.

message 6: by Skyla (new)

Skyla They were hiding reviews but seeing as people I don't know have been commenting and liking reviews that were hidden last week I think they stopped hiding them and returned them to normal.

Now they will only do if the review is flagged by someone and they review the review and if it is offensive they will hide it or delete it depending.

message 7: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "They were hiding reviews but seeing as people I don't know have been commenting and liking reviews that were hidden last week I think they stopped hiding them and returned them to normal.

Now the..."

Thanks Skyla. I appreciate the clarification. It sounds like they are heading in the right direction.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Gosh, that seems quite bizarre. Why ever would GR hide reviews without the reviewer knowing. That seems rather heavy handed. Oughtn't they let the reviewer know and give him/her the right to comment or defend ?

Linda C I completely agree with you Richard. The review is YOURS and you can say whatever you feel. I was quite taken to task once by someone who didnt appreciate what I had written about a particular book. I didnt know that you could delete comments. I'm going to go do that now!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Linda wrote: "I completely agree with you Richard. The review is YOURS and you can say whatever you feel. I was quite taken to task once by someone who didnt appreciate what I had written about a particular bo..."

In the past two days, I've been ripped into by a friend of a friend for expressing my distaste for a dead author's body of work, and it was passed off as "all in good fun" by the jerk who did the attacking; and had another complete stranger come to my negative review of a massively popular book and explain to me how I didn't understand what I was reading, the book didn't say that, etc etc.

People: If you don't like me, move on. If you don't like my opinions, move on. If you want to engage in debate, fine; don't then bitch when I don't end up agreeing with your points, or after I've lost interest in you, go away and ignore you.

It's a great big internet. Play with them as want to play with you. If it's not me, no one loses if you just go the hell away.

Linda C Don't know if you're of the age to remember "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in its first, original life, but there is a line where Tim Curry says to Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick "I didnt make him for YOU!". That's how I feel about people who dont like my reviews. "I didnt write them for YOU!" Or as my middle son said, you can just tell them to f off. But I think my line is a little more poetic. LOL

I loved your review, btw.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways RHPS! Oh my yes. I was there first run in Austin...the Varsity Theater on Guadalupe. Also was a biiig cultist when it went midnight at the Riverside Twin. And met Richard O'Brien at the premiere of "Shock Treatment."

Silly fun.

"You're wet."
NO SHIT SHERLOCK
"Yes. It's raining."

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Oh, and thanks for the review compliment! Where ARE my manners!

message 14: by Skyla (new)

Skyla Linda wrote: "Don't know if you're of the age to remember "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in its first, original life, but there is a line where Tim Curry says to Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick "I didnt make him ..."

I love Rocky Horror. I am so using that excuse when the trolls descend =)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Skyla, you're internet savvy. Why not make a GIF of the scene?

message 16: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I still may read this book, but I just wanted to say kudos to you for not letting the review police dictate to you! :)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Erin wrote: "I still may read this book, but I just wanted to say kudos to you for not letting the review police dictate to you! :)"

Thanks for the support! I'm *more* likely to post nasty reviews when the Butt-Hurt Brigade starts whingeing.

message 18: by Kathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Kathy You were kinder than I was. I gave it one star. For the same reasons you elucidated.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Kathy wrote: "You were kinder than I was. I gave it one star. For the same reasons you elucidated."

I keep wondering when comes all the praise for this book. It's nice to know I'm not the only one, thanks for stopping in to say so!

message 20: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Isn't it nice that you can just delete the comments that don't praise you!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Richard wrote: "Isn't it nice that you can just delete the comments that don't praise you!"

Isn't it nice that you can just keep your snottiness far away from grown-up people!

message 22: by Saleem (new)

Saleem Khashan Again you saved me the none sense

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Saleem wrote: "Again you saved me the none sense"

I am happy to warn you away from books that do not repay the time spent reading them.