Susan's Reviews > The Exceptionals

The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman

Aug 02, 2012

Read in July, 2012

The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman is a fantasy adventure for pre-teens through young adult readers. The main character, Claire Walker is an ordinary high school student at public school. Her father is a professor, and her mother is the vice-principal at Cambial Academy: a boarding school for students who have special abilities and talents. The students at Cambial do not have magical abilities, but rather exceptional and sometimes a bit paranormal qualities.

I really liked Claire, and her new friends at Cambial. I could empathize with her wanting to keep her special gift a secret. Her relationship with her mother and siblings, as well as some of the other students made the story more realistic and interesting to me. The mystery surrounding the missing students kept my interest til the very end.

I liked how the author made sure that the ending was both a dramatic finish to the story, but also left it open just enough to make the reader want more. I really enjoyed reading this book, and hope the author writes a sequel. A great story for ages 12 and up, in my opinion.

I received a free copy of this book for this review - to read the guest post please visit http://lovez2read.blogspot.com.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exceptionals.