Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Aug 02, 12

Read in August, 2012

Reason for Reading: I loved Flynn's Dark Places and was excited to read another book by her.

I was excited to read this as I had enjoyed Dark Places very much and have seen the reviews for this popping up all over the place; while not reading them, I was taking note of the 4 & 5 star ratings. I have to say I was a bit let down from my expectations. As I started reading Part One, I just really didn't find myself all that intrigued as I couldn't ge over how the events mimicked the Scott Peterson case item by item so of course I knew that meant the husband wasn't the killer because what kind of book would that be? So no suspense as everything was expected as it unraveled in Part One and I had thought of a few ideas as to what may be going on and was not shocked at the twist that came with Part Two. Basically, the whole plot of the thriller didn't *thrill* me. Now, I won't say I didn't enjoy it as I did once Part Two was under way, but I was underwhelmed.

Secondly, the two main characters, both the husband and the wife, I found completely repulsive. I didn't like either of them as people and was unsatisfied with the ending. I connected with the sister, Go, but it just isn't that compelling to read a crime story about people you don't care for. So overall, while the plot had twists and kept me reading to find out how it all turned out in the end, I found this book to just be ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.