Anna's Reviews > A Hat Full of Sky

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, fiction, young-adult, children, kindle, supernatural
Read from August 02 to 08, 2012

A continuation of Tiffany Aching's story from The Wee Free Men. Tiffany has become one of my favorite characters in children's/YA literature, and the rest of the story's population is no less marvelous - especially the Nac Mac Feegle and Granny Weatherwax. But even the unlikeable characters are drawn out so well and feel so true to life that it is kind of perversely pleasant to read about them - with that feeling of "oh I hate this person, but oh the writer has captured this so exactly."
The early parts of this book were giving me some anxiety because I so strongly did not want anything bad to happen to Tiffany, and it seemed like something very bad indeed was going to happen - the Hiver is a frightening creation. But (view spoiler), and the steps of her journey were about perfect - this story is satisfyingly more complex than many of the children's/YA stuff out there, but no less appropriate for young readers because of it.
One last note - I loved the nod to J.K. Rowling's fictional creation "The Monster Book of Monsters" - the reference was clever and much appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hat Full of Sky.