Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > Allegiance

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

Oct 29, 12

bookshelves: clean, fantasy, young-adult-12-and-up
Read from October 07 to 11, 2012

It's been a couple of weeks now since I finished Allegiance. I've been pondering my thoughts since then. I strongly debated between 3 and 4 stars, but the fact that I'm still thinking about it so much makes me go with 4. I've completely wrapped myself up in this world that Kluver has created. The possibility of 3 stars was mostly due to my complete disappointment in the ending, and my strong dislike of the leading lady. There really is SO MUCH that I LOVE about this book, though!

First, let me knock out a little venting about Alera. Mercy, that girl is stubborn! I can tell that she's supposed to be a strong leading lady at times, but for the most part I found her weak, selfish, and just plain annoying. It seemed like she was constantly fainting or being so overcome by exhaustion that a man was having to carry her to bed, or to a horse, or.....! Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the damsel in distress routine, as long as she has a backbone and has others' needs at the front of her mind. (Think opposite of Buttercup in The Princess Bride. I didn't care for her at all either.) I'm still keeping hope that she wins me over in the final book. I haven't completely given up hope on her.

Now the men of this series(other than Narian, which I still don't like), are a completely different story. I LOVED those guys! Steldor, Destari, Halias, Galen, and even shy Temerson have won me over. My favorites are definitely London and Cannan, though! Kluver has truly created an awesome group of guys. London's story so far has went a little different than I predicted. I'm still hoping some of the things concerning him in the first book are addressed in the final book.

Even though the two stories are completely different, while reading Allegiance, I was constantly reminded of The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I adored!

The ending....oh, it was enough to make me throw my book against the wall. Almost! :) So, so disappointed! (view spoiler)

I'm really looking forward to the final chapter of this series. I pre-ordered Sacrifice, which has FINALLY shipped! :P I'm hoping to get it Wednesday.

Content: There are a handful of mild words of profanity(he**, da**, bas****). There is almost no romance at all in this book, so no worries there! There are a few kisses, though. There is a great deal of violence and scenes of torture, although never greatly detailed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiance.

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Stokes Ooh, I love this cover! :) Your review of the first book was great - I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the rest of the series!

Bluerose's  Heart I love these covers, too! The last book comes out October 23rd(I think), so I'm trying to space them out just a bit, so I don't forget too much. I can't wait to see what happens, though. :)

Heather You're actually holding out on reading this until closer to the release of the final book I see!!:)

Bluerose's  Heart I had actually decided I couldn't wait...but, some unexpected "morning" sickness has made reading a bit harder. What little reading I've done has been finishing up review books. It has been calling my name, though!!!! I have 2 left that I HAVE to get done, and then it's this one! :) Can't wait!!

Heather YAY! You're reading it now!:D

Bluerose's  Heart Yes! Loving it so far! :)(at page 65 right now)

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara LOVED your review! this book has been on my TBR list for a long time and your comments confirm that I would enjoy reading it :) blessings Tammy!

Heather Oh no only 4 stars! I actually loved Alera, she didn't annoy me, except I could not believe she could keep denying giving herself to Steldor!! Yes, she WAS stubborn! But I guess I do like a damsel in distress more than a kick butt heroine though. And the ending made me sad and mad too, but at least it opened it up for maybe more of a love-triange to take place again in the 3rd book I'm hoping! :D

Bluerose's  Heart @Kara-Definitely!! The first one was a little bit hard to get into at first, but don't give up on it. It's worth it! :)

@Heather-I do have high hopes for this last book! Since Alera has grown, I'm hoping I actually like her in the last book. That way, when I re-read the series, I don't think quite so negatively of her. My biggest problem when I fall in love with a book series is being mad when things don't go my way, which didn't happen in here. ;) I still love it, though!