Jodi Lutz's Reviews > The Villa Triste

The Villa Triste by Lucretia Grindle

Aug 12, 2012

liked it
Read from August 02 to 11, 2012

I enjoyed this book quite a lot, but I wish it was better. The portions of the story set in the 1940's were engrossing, but the portions set in current day were tedious, and as the book went on, became much more prominent.

What I liked. The the two sisters fighting with the partisans against Nazi's and Fascists, albeit each in their own way, made for interesting reading. The characters had different personalities, and each fought in ways that were consistent with their outlook. Each experienced tremendous sacrifice, and their relationship with each other was difficult at times. This is a part of Italian history that I know little about, and has prompted me to research non-fiction sources from this time period.

As mentioned above, I didn't care for the tie-in to the 2000's. We ended up following Alessandro Pallioti, a police detective mined from the same vein as Mikael from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Pallioti was a good character, if you like police/crime procedural. It's not a genre I hold near and dear to my heart, and so was somewhat less enthused by chapters focused on him.

In balance, I would have liked to give a review of 3.5 stars, but since I can't, I'm going with 3.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Villa Triste.