Manny's Reviews > Snow Crash

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, japanese
Read in January, 1997, read count: 1

This book has style and furious energy, like all Neal Stephenson, but it doesn't really make sense. Well... if you casually invent the Metaverse while telling a rattling good story, who cares about a logical hole or nine? And the incidental details are terrific. My favourite was the biker who is a nuclear power in his own right, but there were many others.

I happened to look at the Wikipedia article, and was immediately entranced by the plot summary. The anonymous author's deadpan delivery is perfect. For your amusement:

(view spoiler)
25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.

Kevan I am trying to track down a reference. Somewhere in Snow Crash, I think, there a line a bit like "she had cheekbones that could grace the prow of a stealth fighter" - Any ideas where it's from?

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) "…doesn't really make sense"?

Funny, because my wife and I, both professional geeks, thought it made total sense, in a very twisted way.

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) For Kevan (who has probably found out some time in the last year and a half), there's only one reference to cheekbones in the story and it refers to Hiro. No mentions of "cheek" seem even close.