Nytetyger's Reviews > Through Wolf's Eyes

Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Lindskold

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009-challenge
Read in January, 2009

This would have been a really fantastic book if the author's editor had sat her down and explained that writing is NOT the SCA, that no, you do NOT need to have every filial relationship detailed, you do NOT need to give us a course on the Heraldry of the characters, and that adding characters does NOT make the plot better.

The original plot was great-- a woman has been raised by the creatures of the forest, as her parents, and those who served them were killed in a fire. These are not common animals, but magical, of course-- smart as humanity, steeped in the magic of their world, and bearing knowledge that humanity does not. They sent the woman back to humanity and she becomes an odd hybrid, thinking herself one of these wolves in spirit. Add in a lovely plot that has aspects of the real life story of Princess Anastasia (is Firekeeper really Blysse, the King's granddaughter, or not?) and a court of vipers all wanting to inherit the crown and finally, toss in a war and you SHOULD have enough. THe author also threw in assassination plots, a duchess who is dabbling in black magic controlling her children. whole near CHAPTERS on said heraldry and inheritance and even MORE side plots and it becomes far too rich for a single book.

The book took me over 4 months to read-- I'd read to a point, get overwhelmed, and yes, BORED by some of the sub plots, and put it down. I may... someday... pick up the other books of the series, but only if I have a deep need for triple chocolate trifle with sweetened whipped cream and triple fudge sauce.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through Wolf's Eyes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ΣometimesIwonder It usually takes me six days to nearly two weeks to read these books all depending on my schedule.

Frozendress I loved the heraldry most of all.