Glass's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, romance, netgalley-edelweiss, realistic-fiction, favorites, tanja-zemira-miss-glass-book-club, teacher-student
Recommended to Glass by: Beatrix
Read from August 18 to 21, 2012

What Glass thought about it...

First, there are few things you'll have to find before you start to read Slammed.

1. Phone number of your favorite pizza place in town. I promise that you will get hungry, especially after one delicious description.
2. Chocolate milk on the ice!
3. Your favorite Johnny Deep movie.
4. Box of paper tissues - you'll be so sappy after few parts.
5. Something to smash against your wall (but make sure it's something you won't miss or cause yelling-fest with your mother) - you'll need it in absence of real thing/person to smack.
6. And finally this - The Avett Brothers. To make it easier for you, we already made playlist on YouTube, so just click on the link below. Yeah, they look weird. Yes, we didn't hear about them before too. We don't like them that much, but The Avett Brothers have some killer lyrics.
The Avett Brothers songs mentioned in Slammed

Oh, we need P. S.

P. S.
7. If you don't know what is slam poetry go to Wikipedia, Poetry Slam, Inc. and watch this movies: Shackles and Slam.

Now that you're prepared, let's get down to business. I've been reading and listening about this book for a while, but what finally made me read it was one of my girlfriend's recommendation and news about Simon and Schuster publishing Slammed.

After first two chapters my reaction was something like this: "Okay, I really don't get all the hype. I'm even pissed off." I tured off my Kindle and went to sleep thinking that I'll probably be The Girl Who Hated It. Next morning I picked it up again. And then I read chapter three. All that gushing, swooning and fangirling became much more clear. Hey, it is every high school girl wet dream! So, I've decided to push my doubts away and give it a shot. I liked it. Kind of.

Slammed is one of those books which I rate with mixed feelings. I love them, but they annoy me. I'll be honest and admit that I wouldn't think twice about it if there weren't a slam poetry. That was original move. Everything else was already seen.

Remember that I told you to find something to smash against the wall? You'll need it after you read ending. It was a little bit rushed and over the top - it reminded me on the '90s teen movies. Don't get me wrong - I love those. After all, I am the '90s teen, but it's just that I expected different kind of ending after all of the comments I had read.

In the end, everything comes to this - I had too big expectations and I thought it would be much darker story. It really isn't. Slammed is a big-pink-glasses type of story about life. It will be perfect choice for everyone who enjoyed Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie, Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine and Collision Course by S.C. Stephens.

What Tanja thought about it...

I really love my girl Glass and we mostly agree about books but there are some things that we don't agree about. Like for example she always reads blurbs and other reviews and I never do that (especially when like in this case some of my girlfriends recommend me the book). I do understand and know that most of the people do so, but as always I'm not most of the people. I don't read them cause I always create the story in my head and mostly end up disappointed cause it's not as good, only some manage to really surprise me. I can't give you good advise what to do, cause you know the best.

First thing is sure - I really loved this book. From the beginning. Even though some thing were so predictable like this love between main characters but let's be real and say that most of the book start this way. What I like is that this story is unpredictable at some point, you could guess that something bad would happen but not what exactly. I also love how people learn about life and death in this book and mostly how they use slam for that. Beside main characters I love Eddie and Nick, this guy Nick had me in stitches few times. I actually agree with Glass here about the end. I expected something totally different after I saw that there was the sequel, but anyway I didn't mind it so much. The thing I like the most are feelings in this book. I could use few paragraphs to explain them but someone smarter than me wrote this:
[image error]

There is nothing else to add. I loved this book and I can't wait to read the sequel.

Until the next time,
Glass & Tanychy

*NOTE: Copy of this book is kindly provided by publisher, Simon & Schuster, via NetGalley. We're not paid for writing this review - we do it as lovers of written word. All opinions in this review are personal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Glass Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”

Colleen Hoover
“Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passion. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.”

Colleen Hoover
“There are three questions every woman should be able to answer yes to before they commit to a man. If you answer no to any of the three questions, run like hell."
[...]
"Does he treat you with respect at all times? That's the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire to be a better person? You find someone you can answer yes to all three, then you've found a good man.”

Colleen Hoover
“It's not just lies they're referring to. It's life. You can't run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you're running from-it goes with you. It stays with you until you find out how to confront it.”

Colleen Hoover
“So you keep your ocean, I'll take the Lake.”

08/19/2012
44.0% "I thought this would be something dark, but it really isn't." 9 comments
08/19/2012
70.0% "You'll ned to listen to this while you red the book: The Avett Brothers" 4 comments
08/20/2012
100.0% "I'll need to think about this one..."

Scarlet Sad sam probala ovu knjigu na Fiftyu i mogu namjestiti da mi bude audio-book. I´m falling in love...BTW, The Last Girl mi je baš bila dobra i zrela.

Glass O, cool!:) I kako zvuči?
I meni je ta bila baš dobra!

Scarlet Ma odlično! Mogu namjestiti sexy muški i sexy ženski glas. Cool!

Glass Kako to? Misliš, to nije ustvari audio book,negi ima program koji ti to čita ili šta?:/

Sexy glas, je li? To bi bilo interesantno za ovu našu literaturu!:)

Scarlet Očito je to takav program. Jedino neće tako očitavati knjige u pdf-u, nego samo u mobiu i e-pubu. Namjestiš glas i opustiš se. Ruke ti ostanu slobodne...

Glass hahahaha! nadam se da mislimo na isto - da ne ispadne da sam samo ja sa prljavim mislima!:)

Scarlet O ne, i moje su prljave! :D

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Necu upadati u diskusiju, samo da znate da vam se pridruzujem od veceras ;)

Glass Odlično!:) Knjiga je baš simpatična - ti ćeš biti oduševljena!

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Opaaaa!!! :) Jesi ti to vec zavrsila?? :)

Glass Ne, sad sam na 70%. Jesi li ti počela?

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Aham, opet nisam pogledala koliko sam prosla. Negdje vise od pola! :)

Scarlet Jučer sam cijeli dan imala neočekivanih poslova, a danas cijeli dan goste. Upravo počinjem!

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Ja sam je procitala, kao sto rekoh ne bi zaspala da ovo ne zavrsim. Ukratko receno natopila sam jastuk i dio mene ostaje u ovoj knjizi. Sad bi najradije citala drugu knjigu, ali nemam je na telefonu.

Scarlet Baš mi je drago da je tako dobra! :)

Glass Zrinka, moraš slušati The Avett Brothers dok čitaš. To je neki indie bend koji slušaju glavini likovi - svako pogavlje počinje sa stihom iz njihovih pjesama.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Da to ti zabravih reci, ali stvarno su dobri!! :)

Beatrix Baš mi je drago da vam se sviđa knjiga! :)

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist Great review :D,morat cu i ja ovu uskoro!!!

Scarlet CURE MOJE DRAGE, REVIEW VAM JE ODLIČAN!!!

P.S. Tek sam danas pročitala natuknicu za slušanje banda, ali sam ih bez obzira na to nakon drugog spomena u knjizi išla tražiti na youtubeu. :)

Glass Hvala!:)

Scarlet :)
Zaista svaka čast! Onaj uvod/priprema za čitanje vam je genijalan!

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Jos da ja updatejuem svoj! :)

Hvala :)

Glass Aaaa, vratila si se!:) Falila si nam. :)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Yes! :) Tu sam! ;)
:**

Scarlet Upravo sam provela više od pola sata na vašem blogu. Odličan je!

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Hvala draga! ;) :*

message 28: by Glass (last edited Aug 25, 2012 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glass Hvala, Zrinka!:)Trudimo se.

Tanjice, kako je bilo kod bake? Pretpostavljam da si se najela kolača za mjesec dana - znam da meni bude tako svaki put kad idem!:)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Ma skuhala sam se! Posebno juce, koliko je bilo vruce. Kazu da je bilo do 48 stepeni. Hhahah nema sanse da mogu jesti kolace po ovoj vrucini, ali bar sam se najela sladoleda ako nista :)

message 30: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda And here I come with my English speaking ass! Great review, I Haven't read this one yet but I love your list I'll keep that on mind.

Sonia ღ Love this review :)

Glass Thanks, girls!:)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Thanks girls ;)

Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper* Awesome review, Glass!

Glass Thank you, Meli:)

message 36: by Mo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo I am reading it at the moment and, like you, was thinking in the beginning OK, what's the big deal ... but then THAT sort of happened and it got a bit more interesting.... Will you read the next one?

Glass I read it - I liked Slammed much more. I should buddy read This Girl tomorrow.:)

Scarlet Glass wrote: "I read it - I liked Slammed much more. I should buddy read This Girl tomorrow.:)"

With whom?

Glass Tanja, who else!:) You want to join us?:D

Lucía "My biggest plus was Lake's best friend, Eddie - she's the most amazing character in the whole book." I completely agree.