Melissa's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Nov 08, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2010

I've had a interesting relationship with Dickens over the years. I've really enjoyed some of his books (A Tale of Two Cities) and didn't like others (Oliver Twist), but Great Expectations is the first that I've truly loved.

The plot follows Pip from his time as a young orphan through his maturing into a young gentleman. All of the main characters are deeply flawed: the violent criminal Magwitch, selfish Miss Havisham, haughty Estella. But each of them has redeeming qualities or aspects of their lives the reader can identify or sympathize with.

In addition to that, the plot is so richly developed that, though at its core it's a coming of age story, it feels so much more complicated than that. It was a book I could dive deeply into. Its lessons were diverse as well: the danger of refusing to open your heart to anyone, the importance of valuing the people who care for you, the unimportance of wealth in the large scheme of things. It's a book that resonates with readers for so many reasons. Great Expectations reminded me, once again, that sometimes books become classics for a reason.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

Annette I'm so sad, you didn't like Oliver Twist.

Melissa I may re-read it in the future, but the first time around Oliver was just too good for me. I couldn't make myself like him.