Julie Barrett's Reviews > Home Front

Home Front by Kristin Hannah

Aug 02, 2012

Read in August, 2012

Homefront by Kristin Hannah
Mike and Joleene have problems as everybody has.
He's just told her shortly after her 41st birthday party and he no longer loves her. He even brings the wrong color roses. He's too busy with his work life that he's neglected her and the 2 kids. He even wants to get a divorce. He has the job of defending people in court.
Now she is off to service and he has to step up and also take care of the kids.
After 6 months of training she would come home for a few weeks, then leave for another 6 months.
Tears come to my eyes as I recall when my son wrote his 'last letter's as Joleen writes her letters to her family, hoping they will never have to read them.
Michael and his struggles with the kids almost make him ready to throw the towel in. He's coming home earlier everyday-by 6 and there's so much work to still do.
He is the lawyer for the man who killed his wife-a military man and Michael doesn't think it went down like that as he was basically ignored and has post traumatic stress syndrome.
The crucial events of the girls life are not being spent with her mother and the dad is trying to do everything right. He's cut his hours at work and is working hard on the case.
When she gets injured and is sent home the real hard work starts. Love how neighbors and other military people came over to lend a hand. I've lived in a military community my whole life and have never seen this but I'm sure it happens even here in RI.
Love how they get her to do her PT and talk of other charity programs.
Michael asks others what he can do to help her recuperate and is willing to try anything. She's still very angry at what happened to her and just wants to sit there and do nothing.
His major case is about to go to trial and all he can think about is his wife and her road.
Love all the travel and descriptions of the places.
She can help his case and in turn get help from the case...
Such a touching book of love lost romance and war and having it all ripped from your heart and soul and how to rebuild to get it all back again...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Front.