Sophia's Reviews > Spice ‘n’ Solace

Spice ‘n’ Solace by K.C. Burn

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: sci-fi-romance, net-galley-reads
Read in August, 2012

As of late, I have become interested in Sci-Fi Romance. So when I read and enjoyed first Alien N' Outlaw, I decided that I really wanted to read this one which fell chronologically before that one. There are a few crossover characters, but it really won't matter which order the two are read in.

This is a sweet, but quick romance between two unlikely people. Kaz is a brothel owner in a seedy part of the city. His brothel is successful and the best because of the way he treats his workers. His brothel has an all male stable which caters to both men who prefer men and men who prefer women because it is a frontier planet and concessions are made. This by no means makes it openly acceptable for men like Kaz to love men. Kaz was given a brutal lesson of this at an early age and has never forgotten or slipped.

But now with the arrival of Jathan One Moon a negotiator of good family who comes once a year to meet with an alien race to maintain the fragile peace treaty and an act of sabotage, Kaz is given an unusual opportunity.

The story has a few funny moments and one of them is when Kaz is mistaken by Jay as his escort when Kaz came simply to make arrangements for Jay's escort.

Jathan is very precise about his escort needs because he has sex during negotiations strictly to blow off some steam. He experiences a literal jaw dropping moment when he catches site of Kaz, the beautiful man waiting in his rooms. Kaz is equally enamored which is why he keeps quiet about the mistake.

The two men go from attraction to a desire for more, but naturally all is not simple. Due to the treaty with the Ankylos, Jay is required to marry and produce offspring so they both know that nothing can come of them getting together. Then there is that natty problem of Kaz being a brothel owner and not out.

The plot was rather uncomplicated though there were a few twists. The worldbuilding was handled well with just enough description to give the feel that these humans are not of earth and the aliens are truly alien, but it didn't bog down in the Sci-Fi details of a truly hardcore Sci-Fi. The romance was quick, but the character development made it easier to believe.

I really enjoyed the characters. KC Burn gave time to know them and kept them from being cliches. For instance, Kaz is small, sweet and innocent as the brothel owner, but he's scrappy in a down and out fight when its needed. Jathan was of good family and a good negotiator, but he could appreciate the gem that was Kaz.

All in all, I recommend to those who enjoy light Sci-Fi Romances and M/M romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spice ‘n’ Solace.