Kristen's Reviews > Pit-Stop

Pit-Stop by Ben Larken

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: horror, first-reads
Read in November, 2008

What do you do when you wake up in a diner in the middle of nowhere with no recollection of how you arrived? Your vehicle isn’t outside and you feel a strange complacency and willingness to just sit there and zone out… when you suddenly notice that everyone else in the diner is doing exactly the same thing. Your waitress is beyond creepy and suddenly as you all wake up you realize that you may just be in a pit stop on your way to hell.

This book is an interesting look at the afterlife, and it certainly isn’t a pretty place. A group of individuals finds themselves in a hideous way station on their way to the land of fire and brimstone. An evil looking tour bus with an even more demonic bus driver arrives to take them on to whatever horrid future awaits them, but this group has woken from their trance, and they are prepared to fight back. Can you fight the grim reaper? Can a handful of backsliding sinners fight off the devil? And what would happen if they DO get on the bus? Is it too late for redemption?

This group of survivors is appalling, as they are all sinners, some of them are the most horrifying kind, but as a reader you don’t want them to end up burning in eternal torment. The author does an excellent job of putting the reader in the position of rooting for undesirable people because deep down we all want to believe that redemption is possible, even at this point. We want these people to come to term with what they have done and find a way to make up for it. Somehow the author manages this without ever truly touching on the issue of religion. Though the story is based off of the Catholic theory of Limbo and Purgatory, there is no mention of religion other than one brief mentioning of praying.

The characters are fairly easy to get to know as they have a form of telepathy which allows us to watch their memories through another character’s eyes. I did have some problems with the whole concept of the book in that since there were no “why’s” or religious background to draw from, there were two characters that I could not for the life of me figure out why they were there. I know that as an author he needed to have someone in the tale to be our shining knight, but why would they be on a one way track to hell? That question was never answered for me and left me a bit perplexed. Other than that this was a very enjoyable book.

4 of 5 stars

Parent Warning: profanity, violence, gore, illegal drugs, prostitution, murder, incest, rape, and vivid depictions of a hell like environment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pit-Stop.