Valerie Dieter's Reviews > Speechless

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: ya-books
Recommended for: HS real life fic fans
Read from August 02 to 05, 2012

Chelsea Knot is the sidekick to the most popular girl in school. One of her "jobs" is to collect and spread gossip, whether it's true or not.
And Chelsea is good at her job; she cannot keep a secret, until her big mouth messes up the lives of several people including her own.

Drunk to the point of puking at a party, Chelsea walks into a bedroom and witnesses something too tasty not to share. But her public announcement leads to some major violence against another person, the arrest of two popular athletes, and her dismissal as the second most popular girl in school.

She decides to take vow of silence to keep from saying anything else damaging. Because of her outcast status and her vow, she comes in contact with peers that she never would have given the time of day before.

From the start, Chelsea is a bit reprehensible. Even after she does the right thing, her attitude about it is a little selfish. At first, I didn't like her for this, but then I realized that it made her more real for me. She needed to find her identity and values, two things she lacked before these events.

Harrington presents some great food for thought and well rounded characters.

MATURITY: Definitely for high school. Heavy drinking, violence, sexuality. While I would recommend it to mature eighth grade readers, it's too mature for the MS library.

Review galley received from 7/2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speechless.