Fox's Reviews > The Power of Myth

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell

1702050
May 04, 11

bookshelves: anthropology, folklore, history, non-fiction, own, reference, religion, sociology, 2011
Read from December 29, 2010 to May 04, 2011

What a fantastic book! I've owned this book for ages, but never read it all the way through. This year, I decided to change that. I read this book in small chunks, mostly while on the exercise bike, and I think that that reading of it really benefited me. It allowed me to try to digest each section I read, rather than plowing through the entire book too quickly. Yes, this is a book that requires much thought.

Joseph Campbell holds such an interesting view of the world. Moyers, in his interviews, really brought out the best of Campbell's perspective. I don't think there was a page of this book that bored me, Campbell, as always, breathes new life into old myths and creates an image of a world in which each day can be infused with wonder.

As always, he illuminates the power and ambition within each one of us, and highlights the best of the human experience. He doesn't deny the negative aspects of the human experience, but he does reframe it so that the world remains something that we all -want- and are proud of being a part of.

This book reminds the reader how extraordinary the world truly is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Myth.

12/29/2010 page 14