Chris's Reviews > Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World

Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World by Sabina Berman

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: fiction
Read from August 10 to 14, 2012

Weird and wonderful. The cover art just made me buy this book and I was richly rewarded with a story that was part Life of Pi and part like the lives of Jacque Cousteau meets Temple Grandin. It also reminded me of another fanciful fish story that I read recently, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Karen is the autistic savant living in Mexico and the heir to a struggling tuna cannery. Thanks to her aunt she is finally treated like a person and she tells her life story of dealing with the world. It's funny at times, stark at times. Karen's communication skills with humans leave a lot to be desired. This book handles a lot of topics like declining resources and man's relationship with the animal world to name a few. It get you thinking for sure and you wonder who is manipulating who during the course of her tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World.

08/10/2012 page 6
08/14/2012 page 181
71.0% "This is weird and wonderful. It's like the Life of Pi meets Jacques Cousteau meets Temple Grandin."