Michelle's Reviews > Kitty Steals the Show

did not like it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from August 06 to September 13, 2012

Disclaimer: I won this book on Goodreads.com

First let me preface with the fact that I have not ever read anything from the Kitty series nor have I read this author before. Having said that I can understand why my opinion might differ from someone who has read this series already.

The book begins in such a way that I personally found disturbing. It starts with Kitty and her wolf ‘pack’ hunting a deer and describing the kill. It moves on into what the book is about but at this point I’m thrown off.

The book appears to be written for those familiar with the series and not just new people like me. From the beginning there seem to be many characters and I find it hard to keep up with them all or to know what their purpose is and I’m only on chapter three or four!

I admit I’ve not been reading this much, a chapter a night. After the initial discomfort I’ve found the rest to be quite boring and wordy.

I've decided to not continue reading this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Steals the Show.

Adelheid Why did you enter a contest for a book that is deep into a series? One should always begin a series from the first book. I have seen one star reviews for other authors where people 'win' book three of a four series or two of a trilogy. I feel your rating is unfair to the author, who lists the books in order at the beginning of each one as a warning NOT to start with this one.

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Aug 11, 2012 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Michelle I've started MANY a series well into the series, often times without prior knowledge of it being a series. In almost all of these cases I've went back to read the entire series because they were all so great!

A series should relate. A series often times has a set end goal and an ultimate purpose, or something that ties them all together. I understand that, it's what makes a series great and motivates those who have read and like it, to continue to read.

That being said there is also one VITAL point a series MUST have: Each book should be able to stand alone! It's one of the ways authors CONTINUE to grab new readers. Without THAT - they will NEVER grow the initial base of readers. And let's face it - the ULTIMATE goal of ANY writer is to grow it's reader fan base!

So when I state those who have read the series may have a different review I mean it based out of loyalty because this book does NOT stand alone and will NOT draw in NEW fans! I dare say it may LOSE a few though and have in fact seen one reviewer post that they once enjoyed this series but no more afer this book. And I also see reviews that state this is an 'in between book' ??? I find that boring which fits with how I feel this book is!

Ultimately I believe my review is more than fair. It warns those like me who might be interested to NOT go there! If one wants to try this author they should start from book one.

For my personal taste I won't bother because I want to read an author who interests me and keeps my interest in EVERY book they write and I have read MANY who do exactly that! THOSE are the authors I want to invest my time and my money into because they make my world a better place.

This author had a chance to gain another loyal fan with this contest! A chance to gain someone who would WANT to purchase and read everything prior to this book. And she just didn't do that with me.

KOMET Michelle, you need to start at the beginning of the series to see HOW MUCH Kitty has grown, developed, and fully come to terms as a nationally-syndicated talk radio host, who happens to be a werewolf.