John C.'s Reviews > Cool Water

Cool Water by Dianne Warren

Aug 29, 12

Read from August 02 to 12, 2012

Cool Water © 2010 – Fiction (Canadian, Rural Life)
By Dianne Warren (Canadian b-1950)

A contemporary Canadian Western? Close enough. If Canadian content and rural characters interest you...take a chance on this one.
A fictional century of small town Saskatchewan, population 1,011 with a relative long history of cowboys and....well cowboys anyway.
Easy and entertaining reading, this novel will keep you interested and let you feel good about reading a semi-western from one of our own Canadian small towns, albeit fictional. Proof that great small-town storytelling with horses and whisky doesn’t always have to originate in Colorado or Southern Nevada.
The author spent most of her childhood growing up in small town Saskatchewan so she comes by such a novel honestly. The characters therein are believable, appealing, a little interesting and a little flawed. Pregnancies, farm animals, pick-up trucks...all this and more 
Absent is the ‘reader’s remorse’ we all have experienced after reading a crappy novel. You know what I mean, that grim realization on the turning of the last page that you’ve just wasted a lot of your time. First you’re a little bewildered that you’ve just let yourself been had, even though you sensed it coming. Second a little anger creeps in followed by a clear conviction to set about a nasty review.
I do nasty reviews. This novel fortunately doesn’t warrant one of those. Happy reading.

By John Archibald, July 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cool Water.