Sue's Reviews > On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson, Author of Silent Spring

On a Farther Shore by William Souder

1203275
Oct 06, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, nature, biography
Read from August 02 to October 06, 2012

I am ashamed to admit that I am a biologist/ecologist who has never read Silent Spring. Thanks to every professor ever, I know that Rachel Carson was the impetus for the movement that passed the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and the Endangered Species Act. I was fascinated to learn that she did not finish her PhD and had a boring government job, just like me! But she had 3 bestselling books. She also had cancer and angina, and died when she was only 56. Souder treats Carson with kindness, and he weaves in interesting stories that are tangential but complementary. Her relationship with Dorothy Freeman is treated with respect. I was interested to learn that Carson was involved with early work on global warming and greenhouse gases. She was a smart lady with a passion for the ocean and nature and, luckily, the ability to reach out and share that with the world in her books. What a fabulous woman, the "nun of nature".

I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. My opinions are my own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Farther Shore.