Maree's Reviews > Friday Brown

Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield

Dec 14, 12

bookshelves: aussie, ya-contemp, favourites-2012, 2012-read, need-to-reread, favourites-all-time, inkys-2013
Recommended to Maree by: Mands
Read from September 22 to October 07, 2012

This book is incredible. Writing this about two months after finishing Friday Brown, these are the only words I seem to be able to form. However, I am going to do my best to write some sort of review because I want the whole world to know that I love this book. In fact, it may even be one of my favourite books of all time. Yes. That was a big statement. Vikki Wakefield has eclipsed all my other favourite authors, the way George Harrison stole my heart with Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Here Comes the Sun. Seriously, where can I buy my ‘I love Vikki’ badge? It will be right alongside my lifetime Beatles fan club membership, I promise.

“I was the sum of two people, one dead, the other unknown. I’d lived in a hundred small towns and I’d never known another person for my whole life, except Vivienne.”

Friday Brown is still reeling from the death of her mother Vivienne when she decides to run away from the grandfather who is caring for her and find the father she’s never known. She disappears into a crowded city, where faces blur together as feet busily pound the lifeless grey pavement. Here Friday finds comfort in a group of equally lost people where she bonds with Silence, someone who needs a loving friend almost as much as she does.

I adored the characters in this novel. I was in love with Friday right from the very first page (which, might I add, is superb). She’s smart, loving and fiercely loyal, but she lacks confidence. Her journey of self-discovery is remarkably well written. She has to face her past and realise that sometimes even those we love most can lie to us. For Friday though, the problem is that these lies and half-truths formed her and without them she is lost. I was so glad to see how she found herself and her inner strength throughout the novel. Of course, a review of Friday Brown would not be complete without Silence. Silence, the gorgeous, silent boy who changes Friday’s world. Needless to say, I thought their friendship was absolutely gorgeous.

Each of the other characters was remarkable in their own way, but it was Arden who stuck with me for the most chilling of reasons. She was enchanting, calculating and extremely manipulative. Yet her nurturing, mothering personality attracted the other street kids like moths to a flame. I couldn’t help feeling unsettled by her from the outset, but understood Friday’s need to impress her as she filled part of the void Vivienne left in Friday’s life.

The writing was magnificent. It drew me in and help me captive. The second part in particular struck me the most as the book took on a gothic turn, with writing reminiscent of Barbara Baynton’s The Chosen Vessel. It was absolutely gorgeous, hauntingly and devastatingly so. Everything about this novel was authentic; the setting, the people, the feelings. Through Wakefield’s prose I could feel the red dirt between my toes, I could feel a real and loving connection between Friday and Silence and I was left utterly heartbroken by all the emotions. Seriously, Wakefield took my heart, tore it out and squashed it into tiny little pieces. Needless to say I ate a lot of chocolate upon finishing this book.

I honestly cannot explain how much I love this novel. However, I have chosen a song which I think fits Friday Brown perfectly: Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens. I have never heard a song which seems to fit a novel so beautifully.

For me, everything about this novel was perfect; from the haunting cover and the gorgeous prose to Friday’s wonderful journey of self-discovery. In case you hadn’t already noticed, I just want to shout from the rooftops how much I adore Friday Brown and I cannot wait to see what else Ms Wakefield has in store for us.

This review and many more can be found at Maree's Musings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Brown.

09/22/2012 page 17
4.0% "I love this so much already." 4 comments
09/23/2012 page 75
21.0% 4 comments
10/04/2012 page 222
64.0% "Enjoyed the retelling of 'The Drover's Wife' as we just analysed this a week or two ago in my Major Australian Writing class at uni." 5 comments
10/06/2012 page 266
77.0% "NO. Just no. I don't know if I can read any more of this tonight, but I can't put it down even though it's tearing me apart." 4 comments
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit This is a beautiful review Maree! I can't wait to read something by Wakefield! :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) I need to get my hands on her work. I have heard nothing but great things!

message 3: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity Gorgeous review Maree! I love this book utterly and completely as well. And that first page is so stunning.