Martin's Reviews > The Mysterious Island

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

Aug 07, 12

Read from August 01 to 07, 2012

This book was a fast paced adventure from the very first page till the last. Not once was I left wanting and bored and I had to keep turning the page to find out what would happen next.

At first I admit I was annoyed by the characters, they were too calm and everything was too easy for them. In that situation I imagine most would panic and someone like me would probably be dead within the first 5 and a half seconds after the crash. But then I delved deeper into the story.
The whole 'everything being easy' started to be more and more prominent and my imagination ran wild, had the characters died and this was heaven? Was there some supernatural force at bay?

The mystery deepens as the seemingly supernatural presence manifests itself in more and more obvious ways.
I was half expecting some elder god of some kind to make an appearance (after the survivors mentioned hearing rumblings deep within the island.)
This brings me to my one disappointment; (-----SPOILER AHEAD-----) the mysterious presence was but a man. Maybe it is because I haven't read 20,000 leagues under the sea (yet) but I just wasn't at all as amazed at the discovery of the captain under the island as the book wanted me to be. Although it was definitely a twist I wasn't expecting and brought the story to a more down to earth level which I liked.

As I said, the book kept me reading. It is fast paced, non stop action.
Crash land

I can't actually put into words how exciting I found this story and I really connected with all in it. It held me right up until the last page and, as so rarely happens, the ending felt fitting and gave nice closure to the story.

I can't recommend this story enough.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Island.