Elena (Gone Bookserk)'s Reviews > What I Did

What I Did by Christopher Wakling

Aug 02, 12

Read from August 01 to 02, 2012

A Gone Bookserk Perspective

I'm going to get right to not so likable feature of the book. Let's get that reservation out of the way. I felt like this novel had a quirky sense of direction. As I was reading it I often got lost in what the message behind some of the stories was. I kept saying to myself 'huh?,' 'ok, now what's going on all of a sudden?' This will make sense to some readers, or it might not. What I mean to say by this is that the novel has a 'hit or miss' kind of feel. You'll either get it or you won't because of its unique and quirky style. It can be a good thing, or it can fall short for some people, like me, even though I took away quite a lot even against this feature of the book.

Now, let's get down to the best things about novel, of which there are many. Right from the get-go I want to say that the novel reminded me of 'A series of Unfortunate Events' series, where there is an introduction or explanation of key terminology of concepts - in the form of 'this is called..." What's great about this feature of the book stems from the fact that this is literary fiction structured to introduce both adults and the youth to its message. I thought that if I had a child, I'd want to read it together or choose the book as a family book club book. It's definitely one that crosses age boundaries, and absolutely a book that can be shared across generations.

One last thing I want to mention is the fantastic nature of the cover of the book. At first I didn't understand it just by looking at the book. As you begin to be more immersed in the book, in fact from the very beginning, the reason for the choice of cover becomes more and more clear. I think the cover is fantastic and the novel does a beautiful job of representing it and vice versa. There are multiple stories in the book that provoke the reader to look at life from a creative and innovative sense, in particular that of animals and nature. It expands of realm of reality. You see people and events in brand new ways. For example, just to name a few: a seatbelt coiling back like a snake, a personality like that of an owls who doesn't speak but observes and looks at you with an all-knowing stare, and even camouflaging (vs lying).

I definitely recommend this book to ANYONE who is looking to see life with fresh eyes.... to get an unexpected perspective that broadens their horizons....possibilities.... and even lessons of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Did.

08/01/2012 page 212