Amanda's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
5548051
's review
Jun 14, 13

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read from August 01 to 08, 2012

15 Jun '13
update again! Saw some stills for the movie, and to be honest, despite being slightly spurious in my "casting" of City of Bones, I actually think my version is much better than the movie version.

I mean, look at Isabelle, and look at Clary.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isabelle is supposed to be way hotter than Clary.

And don't even get me started on Jace.



I mean, Jamie Campbell Bower was cute in a couple of his other films, but.... Jace was supposed to be..... I dunno... swoon-on-your-feet-panty-wetting hawwwt.

And Simon.....



I mean, he has "friendzone" written all over him.



12 Jan '13
I know this is now being made into a film, and I know they've all got the cast sorted out, but I imagined them very differently. So here's how they all played out in my head:

Simon - Aaron Taylor-Johnson

For some reason, I always imagined Simon as young Eisenheim. And a part of me wants to kick myself for associating the 2006 film with this book in any way.

Alec - Ezra Miller

And no, it's not because he's queer.


Isabelle - Jessica Szohr

Because I wanted to put this picture in here, 'kay?


Jace - Draco Malfoy

I mean come on. Is there even a debate on this??


Clary - Kristen Stewart

Only because her acting skills match the quality of Clary's personality.



11 Aug '12
Also known as Why Readers CAN Review An Author As Well As His/Her Book, And Why STGRB Are Full of Shit And Obviously Never Took English Lit Classes For Telling Us We're Not Allowed To.


I heard about the whole plagiarism issue long before I even heard of Cassandra Clare's books, so I tried getting into it as objective as possible, given the circumstances. All I know is that she pretty much copy-pasted whole wads of text from another FF writer, from published books, from TV dialogue - into her Draco Dormiens trilogy, without providing any credit to the original authors.

I also know that she lifted wads of text from Draco Dormiens into her published Mortal Instruments. What remains a mystery, though, is whether these bits copied into The Mortal Instruments were her own original pieces of writing, or some of them even plagiarized work?

I won't go much into the whole plagiarism thing, since if indeed any plagiarized work exists in The Mortal Instruments, that is pretty much speculation.
However, it does bring to mind questions of ethic; should a plagiarist be published? Some people strongly believe in giving second chances. I think people only deserve second chances when they admit to their errors and have truly proven their repentance. Both cases which I have not as of yet heard Cassandra Clare do.

Other questions popping into my head include shouldn't there be some sort of punishment for plagiarists?! I mean, if I did in university what Cassandra Clare did in Draco Dormiens (and, arguably, The Mortal Instruments), then I would've been kicked out on the curb and my pretty Master's degree ripped to shreds. And, similar to the whole Chris Brown debacle, instead of condemning her far below ethical work habits, we, the consumers, commend their "artwork", as if sending the message that whatever wrongs they have done, it doesn't matter because people still eat their shit up. There is no learning curve here; or at least, no deterrence factor.

But anyway, I tried to suppress these nagging questions while I read the book, because I wanted to know if I would truly, objectively, enjoy City of Bones. Especially after the whole "GR Bullies" absurdity, where an increasing number of voices proclaim that Reviews Should Be About Books And Completely Separate From The Author.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, my experience reading City of Bones will provide evidence (alongside many other ample evidence out there), that no - sometimes we, as readers, cannot keep the two things separate. Sometimes, our moral and ethic code just won't let us. Reading is, after all, a subjective experience, and all sorts of things influence our enjoyment of it, including our perception of the author. And if that affects our enjoyment of a book, then it damn well does belong in a review if we choose to put it there.

So. Anyway. Now that I'm off my soapbox. The biggest thing that stands out while I read City of Bones was how inconsistent the writing was . It was so lazy and repetitive, information was handed over to us on a silver platter - there was no subtlety or any depth going on. But then there would be brief, short scenes or dialogues that actually made me laugh out. Those few and interspersed scenes surprised me, like one wet and icky autumn day, when I found a five dollar bill while raking up my neighbour's filthy garden.
Try as I might to ignore it, I was at a dilemma. Should I enjoy this? I mean, it's only five dollars. Surely they couldn't miss it. And, I mean, I'm working my arse off in this horrible weather because my mother owes them a lawnmower. And anyway, it might not even be theirs to begin with.
In the end, I took the money (come on, you would've, too!), but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I would have. And the delight I should have felt at finding money just wasn't there.

These funny bits of dialogues and scenes filled me with just as much inner turmoil as my five-dollar-note dilemma, and even though I know that maybe, perhaps, it could be that these are all Cassandra Clare's own words, I still couldn't shake off the icky suspicions out off my gut - did she "draw inspiration" from some other unknown source, here?
In the end, it just ravaged me with too much guilt and suspicions that what originally would have been a five-star scene was reduced down to three stars and a really, really sad face.

Also a part of the inconsistent writing, was the inconsistent narration . I know 3rd person omniscient gives the narrator the power to sift through characters' thoughts and emotions as they please, but this is what made the narrative sound forced and contrived. We would normally follow Clary as the novel progresses - until it is convenient for us to see things from another character's perspective, in which case off we'll jump into another person's head.
These conveniences are just one example of what I mean when I say that the narrative lacked subtlety . When we aren't directly being fed a certain character's thoughts and emotions through his/her own point of view, we are blatantly told their feelings by the character themselves. Rarely are people in real life so honest and self-aware as the characters in City of Bones.

"An asshat?" Jace looked as if he were about to laugh.
"What you said to Simon--"
"I was trying to save him some pain. Isabelle will cut out his heart and walk all over it in high-heeled boots. That's what she does to boys like that."

*

"(...) You want to know what it's like when your parents are good church-going folk and you happen to be born with the devil's mark?" He pointed at his eyes, fingers splayed. "When your father flinches at the sight of you and your mother hangs herself in the barn, driven mad by what she's done? When I was ten, my father tried to drown me in the creek. I lashed out at him with everything I had--burned him with everything I had--burned him where he stood. (...)"

*

"I didn't think you liked me all that much."
Isabelle's brightness faded and she looked down at her silvery toes. "I didn't think I did either," she admitted. "But when I went to look for and Jace, and you were gone..." Her voice trailed off, "I wasn't just worried about him, I was worried about you, too. There's something so ... reassuring about you. And Jace is so much better when you're around."


The point I'm trying to make, here, is that we get to know the characters because other characters are constantly telling us about them, instead of us making our own informed opinions of them based on their actions and words. This is why I say the writing was lazy and lacked depth . And how Cassandra Clare tried to show us that her characters have background and troubles and are oh such damaged goods was more or less through self-testimonials such as the second quote up above, where Magnus Bane so conveniently gave away his entire childhood to three random teenagers. The chapter The Werewolf's Tale was another one of these self-testimonials for another partially-important character.
This is a whole new level of telling-instead-of-showing. Where unimaginative writers just unload all these information through descriptive prose, Cassandra Clare was at least creative enough to hide it into her dialogue. But the same underlying problem is still there - we see none of this "damaged goods". I didn't need Sweeney Todd to tell me his past to know that he was a damaged, troubled man. His actions spoke it for me.

As for information being handed to us on a silver platter -- all you need to do is take a look at the entire ending scene with Valentine to see my point. The whole chapter was an infodump session. Rarely do I read villains who are so eager to reveal their past and provide explanations to their potential victims. The Harry Potter novels were slightly guilty of this - especially in the earlier books - but I believe a lot of other things about the books redeemed itself from this one fault.
Jace was also a bit of an infodumper, but I don't take away points for this. I mean, I get it - it's hard to get on without one character at least explaining what the blazes was going on.

Speaking of characters ... this is rather tough. Many reviewers despised Jace because he was such an asshole. Clary herself accuses Jace of being an asshole plenty of times. But I've lived a fair amount of years, and I was friendly with quite a few assholes during my own teenage years. And let me tell you one thing: Jace is no asshole. He's a guy with daddy issues, trying to act tough. And that is as deep as any of the characters get. I guess, he would be my favourite character out of the whole lot - not my favourite character as in the one I liked the most, but the character whom, in my opinion, was the most developed, without self-testimonials or other characters telling us about him.

But remember my five-dollar-note dilemma? Yeah. Jace was, without a doubt, a direct cut-and-paste of the Draco from Clare's Draco Dormiens trilogy - who, by default, is a creation of JK Rowling's. So forgive me if I "can't separate the book from the author" because frankly? If I enjoyed this book simply because of Jace, that doesn't say much about the rest of the book, or the quality of writing, because Jace is not even Clare's original character.

Further illustrating the inconsistencies of Clare's writing, though, was the sudden and drastic change in Jace's character during the scene with Valentine. There is no way one person, in such a short amount of time, could thoroughly convince and change Jace into such an ... obedient? passive? receptive? character. No matter who the person claimed he was, or what evidence he brings to the table. Even if Jace believed in everything Valentine told him, there is no way it would have drastically changed him in such a manner and such a short time.
Just as unlikely, was the way Jace was ready to walk the ends of the world with Valentine, build a new life with him, and in the next moment - after a few words from Clary - was ready to throw that all away once again. The double inconsistencies astound me. Clare simply does not understand human psychology or even human nature enough to make solid characters.

The other characters were forgettable, to say the least. They all sounded the same, I'm afraid. Witty, dry sort of humour. It gets tiring after a while. Also, the Magnus-and-Alec thing? Can I just say, ew? Magnus is like, what? Forty? And Alec is ... sixteen?
Even Valentine the Villain was ... not much of a villain. He didn't frighten me, or even daunt me. I kept reading how Clary was disgusted at how manipulative he was during his scenes, but reading the pages myself, reading his words, his actions? He wasn't particular conniving or ingenious - really, it was just that Jace was so ready to have a family back, he was willing to lap up every bit of contradicting information he heard.

Plot progression and twists were unsurprising. Uninspired. No, wait, they were inspired. By Star Wars and Harry Potter, to name a few. Perhaps even a bit of Buffy in there.

And this is where my final dilemma lies. To like, or not to like? That is the question.

For light fluff, it has entertainment value enough. But what little entertainment value there was, was lifted off other, better, pieces of work out there. To say that I did not enjoy City of Bones would be a lie; but the question is, did I enjoy City of Bones, or did I enjoy the bits of Harry Potter and Star Wars in City of Bones?

I'll let you decide if it's fine to like a book filled with other writers' characters, other authors' plot twists, other screenwriters' dialogue. Perhaps I'm being too uptight, but here's how I see it. New York with Potterverse and Star Wars. Take that away and what are you?



398 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 260) (260 new)


♡ Half Blood  Prince ♡ trollololol 3rd World Problems and "iPhone", you lost me there :P


Amanda Tehe. You know that was a gift from my not-so-3rd world parents. unfortunately I am a big, independent girl now (!-_-)


Amanda Yeah, I'm not sure how, but people do have different levels of tolerance for plagiarism. Though I'm not certain of any plagiarism in The Mortal Instruments, so I can't really say much on this particular case.


Choco Amazing review! While reading this I was thinking, that's what I wanted to say! But I couldn't say it because I'm usually just too mad when saying anything about Clare, and it comes out as something that doesn't make any sense.


Amanda Thanks Palice! believe me, I had to step back from my laptop a few times. The thought of potential trolls really helped keep me from being all ragey :P
And I don't know what you're talking about. Your review makes perfect sense to me!


Angela Excellent review. And thank you for the very first link, I'd not seen that before.


message 7: by H99 (new) - rated it 2 stars

H99 *spoilers, do not read this if you haven't read The Mortal Instruments*

Magnus isn't 40, he's more like... a few centuries, I think...


Izzat Zainal Jace is like the worst male character I've ever read. I don't know what 'asshole' means, but he's just a bad creation of a sarcastic character. He talks shit and when reading his line complimenting himself repetitively whilst insulting others around him, I had to slam my head again and again on a hard surface.

I'm okay with most sarcastic character but not him. And I hate how everyone praises him because, to put this in reality, you can't actually take his character as a positivity. He's like an example of how a bad person gets all the sunshine although he has insulted people, being arrogant, rude and yet people do not care. Even he's considered as the strongest Nephilim or whatever, we can't just let the positivity beautifies all of his negative ones. It's like--you are taking on a bully's side just because he's strong, while all of us should be on the side of the people who gets bullied.


Amanda H99 wrote: "*spoilers, do not read this if you haven't read The Mortal Instruments*

Magnus isn't 40, he's more like... a few centuries, I think..."

Oh yuck. But isn't that just the rave in YA paranormal/romances? The older a guy is, it seems the less his age matters. Imagine Edward Cullen and Bella... thousands of years old is alright, but if he had been, say, 53, I'd bet there'd be a few ewwwws coming out of readers.


Amanda Izzat wrote: "Jace is like the worst male character I've ever read. I don't know what 'asshole' means, but he's just a bad creation of a sarcastic character. He talks shit and when reading his line complimenting..."
Oh yeah, Jace was a smug, conceited little thing. I chalked up the way he treated Simon to a mixture of envy and rivalry, rather than any active malicious intent. He was rude and condescending, but I didn't find him abusive, for instance, or a bully or anything. -- which is why I don't consider him an asshole.


message 11: by H99 (new) - rated it 2 stars

H99 Amanda wrote: "H99 wrote: "*spoilers, do not read this if you haven't read The Mortal Instruments*

Magnus isn't 40, he's more like... a few centuries, I think..."
Oh yuck. But isn't that just the rave in YA para..."



Oh, yes... a 53 year age difference is just disgusting, but 5,300 years is totally fine...


Christina Wilder Even Valentine the Villain was ... not much of a villain.

I couldn't agree more. He certainly was no Voldemort, or even a milquetoast version of him. He was just sort of...there.


message 13: by Amanda (last edited Oct 25, 2012 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Christina wrote: "Even Valentine the Villain was ... not much of a villain.

I couldn't agree more. He certainly was no Voldemort, or even a milquetoast version of him. He was just sort of...there."

I wonder if he becomes more villain-y in the next books, though? Although I really don't want to go on with this series, I'm still morbidly curious.


message 14: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, trying to push through, and though I'm less sympathetic to him (having preferred the first book w/ Valentine as hero), but he's just really...dull. Generic.


message 15: by Choco (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco Amanda, could I link to this review on mine? I just think people should be reading this one...


Amanda Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, trying to push through, and though I'm less sympathetic to him (having preferred the first book w/ Valentine as h..."
Shame.... Does anything get any better, though? With soooo many fans of the series, it must have something going on for it. I might continue myself if I can find a free copy :P


Palice wrote: "Amanda, could I link to this review on mine? I just think people should be reading this one..."
Yes you may, Palice, it would be my honour *kowtows


message 17: by Choco (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco Amanda wrote: "Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, trying to push through, and though I'm less sympathetic to him (having preferred the first book w/ ..."

Thank you so much. Now they'll come to you and you'll have to deal with the trolls. But don't worry, I'll fight for you.


Amanda Palice wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, trying to push through, and though I'm less sympathetic to him (having preferred the..."

:O it was a trap! I should've known!


message 19: by Choco (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco MUAHAHAHAH!
>:D

NobutIWILLDEFENDYOU


message 20: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie I have got to get my review written. I've never had a troll! (view spoiler)

Amanda wrote: "Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, trying to push through, and though I'm less sympathetic to him (having preferred the first book w/ ..."

Honestly, there are parts of the second book I find rather readable, mostly from Jace's POV, which is kind of funny because I hated his section from the first book and in the second I rather think he's a sociopath. But since they take me so long to read, I feel I'm doing good for the youth of the community, as I can renew them and keep them out of the library for three months at a time.


Amanda Noooooo! You do not want trolls!! I've only ever had trolls on my Vampire Academy review, and it..... it is horrible! But then again I'm a really sensitive person and my fuse blows up so quickly, I tend to respond to insults in an antagonistic manner. Eh, but you're probably way more easy going than I am and if you can take trollish comments with a grain of salt, it is indeed an entertainment in itself :P

I'll have to wait for your review and decide whether I'll pursue the next book or not! Oh but I hope Jace's POV isn't only there to remind us of how awesome and special he thinks Clary is like what a lot of other YA Romance authors love to do.


message 22: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie I wouldn't mind for City of Bones because I have so little invested in it. I mean, she drives me nuts, but it's silly above all.

Although I once tried to reason with a literate troll on another review and at the end of it, he thanked me for being nice. It's like, umm, not really. I kinda called you stupid up there and just because I didn't use that word doesn't mean I think your opinion is any more valid.


message 23: by Amanda (last edited Oct 26, 2012 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Also,

But since they take me so long to read, I feel I'm doing good for the youth of the community, as I can renew them and keep them out of the library for three months at a time.

That is such a good point! That way, if a friend sees me with this series and asks wtf I'm doing, reading such claptrap, I can wring my hands and cry: "I'm doing it for the children!!"


Christina Wilder Marie wrote: "I have got to get my review written. I've never had a troll! [spoilers removed]Amanda wrote: "Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the second book, tryin..."

I agree with you. It was nice being out of Clary's head for a while, but of course, we had to listen to Jace's ogling of her while he was mentally rambling.


Amanda Christina wrote: "Marie wrote: "I have got to get my review written. I've never had a troll! [spoilers removed]Amanda wrote: "Marie wrote: "I don't know that Valentine gets any better...I'm in the middle of the seco..."


Oh. There is ogling. Of course. Why am I not surprised (-__-i)


message 26: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Great review. I read back her fanfics many many years ago and then found out later about all the plagarism. I actively avoid these books. One note though. You mention that her Jace character is basically the same character as Draco from her fanfics.

The thing is, her Draco in the fanfics bears almost no relation to the character from Harry Potter. Her Draco is Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Blond, saracastic, quotable lines, questionable morals, etc. etc. She also used a number of BtVS and Angel quotes in her fanfics. So really, Jace is Spike and she would be stealing from Joss Whedon.


Amanda Natalie wrote: "Great review. I read back her fanfics many many years ago and then found out later about all the plagarism. I actively avoid these books. One note though. You mention that her Jace character is bas..."

Yeah, I felt there were Buffy similarities, which is why I mentioned in the review there were bits of Buffy in TMI. I knew about the quotes, (and Buffy & Angel weren't the only sources she used), but as I don't know if those quotes were used in TMI, I felt that was out of place from my review :P

Draco and Jace may be different characters; for instance I doubt Draco would be half as accepting or "approachable" as Jace, but I felt in essence, Clare still tried to replicate a Draco-like aura in Jace (except I think while Rowling made Draco an out-and-out git, Clare made a more likable version of him) -- his "relationship" with his father, for one, and his arrogance and general attitude was another I felt very similar to Draco.


message 28: by Kaitlin (new) - added it

Kaitlin Luksa Amanda wrote: "Imagine Edward Cullen and Bella... thousands of years old is alright, but if he had been, say, 53, I'd bet there'd be a few ewwwws coming out of readers."

No, see it doesn't matter how old he is as long as he doesn't look 53.


message 29: by H99 (new) - rated it 2 stars

H99 Kaitlin wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Imagine Edward Cullen and Bella... thousands of years old is alright, but if he had been, say, 53, I'd bet there'd be a few ewwwws coming out of readers."

No, see it doesn't matter ..."


Ah...good point. The guy has to be hot, and if he is, his age doesn't matter.


Alice I like Kristen Stewart as an actress based on her earlier stuff, but nice review. I did enjoy City of Bones, but I can see what you you were getting at. The problem is with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and all these other hugely popular young adult fantasy books, it's really hard to be original when it comes to the subject. Even if the author was being genuinely original, it's still going to come off like she's just trying to earn her success off the huge hype.


message 31: by Amanda (last edited Jan 13, 2013 01:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Yeah, I understand there are hardly any new or original ideas nowadays, but for me the book just felt too much like others. Particularly Jace; he just felt too much like a less spoilt/evil version of Draco, etc. Even his relationship with his father. And especially considering the Draco Dormiens started off as a fanfic of Harry Potter, it is just all too close for comfort.

And I actually liked Kirsten Stewart in the Panic Room ;)
Her newer works though.... Not so much. Even her acting in Into The Wild was sooo blank.


Belinda Thanks for this, I agreed with the bulk of what you were saying. There were so many times where I put the book down for a long time and thought how on easth did Clare get published. That said I still enjoyed it.


Fly To The Sky What's really crazy is how many fans there are for this series and how Clare keeps coming out with more books. Like, Really? I don't think the books are really worth the money.


message 34: by H99 (last edited Jan 26, 2013 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

H99 Draco Malfoy as Jace?

...

*stunned*

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. I DENY IT. I'm ashamed that I liked this series once. Mortified of it. You CAN'T ruin Draco Malfoy by making him Jace. NO.


Amanda H99 wrote: "Draco Malfoy as Jace?

...

*stunned*

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. I DENY IT. I'm ashamed that I liked this series once. Mortified of it. You CAN'T ruin Draco Malfoy by making him Jace. NO."


Ha I know, right.... Draco's an "evil little cockroach" and all, but I love him. Can't say the same for Jace.


Cecilia I love this review because everything you said is exactly what I kept thinking while reading this book, except for the Draco Dormiens part which I can't comment on since I haven't read any of Cassandra Clare'a HP fanfics. I did see a lot of parallels between Harry Potter and City of Bones, though.

The inconsistencies and flaws in her writing really bothered me. Not the quality of her style, but the way she built her story and her characters. I couldn't stand the way she *told* us that Clary cares a lot about Simon without *showing* us - because, let's be honest, if I had only paid attention to the way Clary treated Simon in the book, I would not have seen the loving affection she supposedly felt toward him.

And don't get me started on Jace's shift of feelings in the "Valentine" chapter, which was the most unrealistic use of a character's psychology I have ever seen. During this scene, I kept wondering how Clary could possibly refrain herself from hitting Jace, and how could Jace possibly redeem himself, but then he changed his mind faster than I run when someone offers me food. I didn't think she could have done a least realistic turn of events than this one. Kudos on making the plot convenient for you, Clare. Ugh.


Amanda Thanks, Cecilia :)
Good to know I wasn't the only one who felt Jace's sudden change was unrealistic! And I agree with you on how Clary treated Simon. I never mentioned it in my review because I forgot under all the other issues I had with the book :p so thanks for bringing that up!


Maddie This will be hard for me because, unlike the rest of you it seems, I am a Mortal Instruments fan. Hiwever, like the rest of you I am going to try to be calm and collected throughout my little review. If I ever seem rude and/or hatedul, forgive me please.
So, first off: the plagarism issue. I honestly cannot say whether or not Clare copied previous authors writings. However, would you not think that her editor, the hundreds of critics, and thoses authors that she "copied" from would not have mentioned/noticed it?
My second issue, several of you stated yoir dislike for Jace. While that is your own personol opinion, I would like to state mine. Yes, Jace is snarky, sarcastic, and rude; but that is his character. As you read through the series you realize why he is the way he is and you understand. I truly do not believe that you can make a judgement of ancharacter when you have only read the first (or up to the second) book. In series I have read previously, I have not been able to stand cartain characters but as I continue reading the series I see their flaws and shortcomings as well as their abilities. It gives you a bond.
Another thing, how can you honestly give your full opinion on a book series when you haven't even read it all? I felt the first book was good, the second O.K., the third amazing and so on. I believe, wothout a shadow of a doubt, that unless you have read the entire series, you cannot consider this a review on the Mortal Instruments Seriez. It could be considered a review on City of Bones, but that is as far as I would put it down as.
Something else to nibble on, is that while somethings in COB are a but on the crazy side, it is what helps the book become more interesting, as you read the ENTIRE series. Some of you have complained about the ending, about how Jave changed a lot when he was around Valentine. How would expect one to act as he reunites with his father, whom he thought was dead, has to choose between his father and what he has known all his life, and finds out he is in love with his little sister? If that happened to me, I believe I would be acting strange.
About Valentine not being villianous (I am not even sure if that is a word) enough, you met.Valetine for about 1/2 of a chapter in which you actually read dialougue where he was speaking. I am sorry if you felt that Clare did not fill enough villian time in her novel. I would imagine that after writing a couple hundred pages she might want to end the first book and penetrate further into what evil things Valentine did in future novela. After all, what is the fun in figuring out every secret of the series right off the bat? I guarentee that Clare kept some tricks up her sleeves and kept the series interesting enough to have thousands, perhaps.hundreds of thousandz, of fans. Mmm, there is something I forgot...Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that directors and producers found this book good enough to make it into a movie. Most of the time, producers do not waste their money on making movies from books with poor plot arrangments.
While.I coukd go on and on about how I disagree with all of your present disgust for TMI, I will not. If I could give a bit of advice, it would be this: Read the entire series before you make judgements about the whole series. Also do not allow your suspiscion of plagarism affect your reading experience.
Last thing, some of you may have read the entire series so far that is available, to you I say: " Write your reviews with as much respect as you can muster up." For the rest of you that have only read 1/5 (soon to be 1/6) of the TMI series, or perhaps 2/5. I say this, " Finish the series befire you start making reviews on the entire series from your single book experience."
I lied, this is the fina, little bit. While I understand that sometimes books can become a bit boring at parts, sometimes these are the parts you need to pay attention to. Also, while many of you have "sneaking suspiscions" of Clare plagarizing, you have no proof. Therefore, you need to be careful of what you post on the internet. It would be an awful thing to ruin Clare's writing career if it was not true but people made up things. Just remember, without your solid proof, all you have is theories, which shoukd be kept.in mind, but not enough to discourage any kind of enjoyment from your reading experience. With that, I will sign off, and encourage anyone to send acomment my way about my post. I will check up on this page ,for tne next week or so.


message 39: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie You know Maddie, it's a good rule of thumb that when you have that much to say in response to someone's review, you should write your own review.


message 40: by Choco (last edited Feb 25, 2013 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco Okay, what the hell? No one wants to read that.

(But the first thing you mentioned? HahahaHA, no they didn't care because Clare had a fandom and that meant sales.)


message 41: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie Clare's sales have not been harmed at all by the plagiarism talk (unfortunately).

Can I just say though, I tried reading the second book, for an agreement with a friend, and I didn't even get halfway through until I had to quit before it drove me completely INSANE.


message 42: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine Maddie wrote: "Also, while many of you have "sneaking suspiscions" of Clare plagarizing, you have no proof. Therefore, you need to be careful of what you post on the internet. It would be an awful thing to ruin Clare's writing career if it was not true but people made up things. Just remember, without your solid proof, all you have is theories, which shoukd be kept.in mind, but not enough to discourage any kind of enjoyment from your reading experience."

Actually, no. No, there is proof that Cassandra Clare plagiarized, it is just incredibly hard to find because she calls her lawyer everytime she finds that stuff. (For example the plagiarism is still mentioned in the German version of her wikipedia site.) Also, I don't believe in having to read an entire series to review the very first book of said series. Because the first installment of a book series usually deals a lot with introducing characters and if Cassandra Clare fails to do so properly, well, when exactly is she going to do that? The third novel? The forth maybe?
Also, if one didn't like the first books why keep on reading? Assuming that in the following novels the reader finds the same examples of lazy writing and infodump (which can also be found in her Infernal Devices series), said reader will keep on writing negative reviews as it is their right. And in that case, another Cassandra Clare fan will show up and complain 'Why do you read it if you don't like it? Ew, you're just here to spread hate'.
So, sorry darling but I found this review incredibly eloquent and the reviewer made good arguments, I think she is fully qualified to comment this book. You however do not have the right to tell anyone how many books of a series other people are supposed to read or not.


message 43: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Martine wrote: "Maddie wrote: "Also, while many of you have "sneaking suspiscions" of Clare plagarizing, you have no proof. Therefore, you need to be careful of what you post on the internet. It would be an awful ..."

Proof of plagarism:

http://www.journalfen.net/community/b...

Granted it is in her fanfiction, which is why most people think it doesn't count, but to me it speaks to her character.


message 44: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's no discernible plagiarism in her published work, but that doesn't speak to her past or to her ethics. I didn't catch many of the Harry Potter/Star Wars references, but what offended me most in CoB and the first half of the second book was that there was no heart or enthusiasm in the writing.


message 45: by Choco (new) - rated it 1 star

Choco Well, personally I think there is plagiarism in City of Bones, because there are actual passages that have been taken from her fanfiction. I don't really like the "fanfic was hers though!" argument, because her writing back then was based on JKRowling's, and she had millions of other books (some out of publication) that she had stolen ideas from.


message 46: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie That I hadn't remembered. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's not considered actionable, which I why I wasn't going with that part. I still don't find it defensible.


Maddie It appears that I have insulted and offended many of you which was not my goal at all. Forgive me if I appeared hateful, I do not want to be characterized that way. About the fanfiction plagarism, it happened 10 years ago and it was fanfiction. She was not going on trying to make a profit of it and since fanfictionnis basically stories people event


message 48: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Maddie wrote: "It appears that I have insulted and offended many of you which was not my goal at all. Forgive me if I appeared hateful, I do not want to be characterized that way. About the fanfiction plagarism, ..."

Hi Maddie! First of all I want to thank you for at least keeping things civil even though we're obviously not going to see eye to eye here.

First, the plagiarism. For me, it doesn't matter if TMI doesn't contain any plagiarism at all - the fact still stands that she plagiarized in her fanfic, which even though is not for profit, it still counts as plagiarism. Especially as she had a wide audience and was very influential and well-known in the fandom. The worst part is that she never took accountability nor even apologized for her plagiarism. Turning someone with those kind of writing ethics into a published writer, for me is unacceptable. It would be like giving a doctorate's degree to someone who plagiarized in their bachelor's thesis - doesn't matter how long ago it happened, it still happened.

As for your belief that people can only judge a book after reading an entire series.... We're just going to have to disagree on that one. Readers are not obligated to make it convenient for an author. We are allowed to pick up a book in a series, at any number, and make a valid judgement on that particular book. This is, after all, a review of City of Bones, and not a review of the entire TMI series. So even if the characters do a complete 180 and change into THE most spectacular people that ever lived on paper, if they didn't cut it for me in this particular book, that is still valid criticism on my part.


Maddie Sorry! i accidentally pressed submit!
Anyways, fanfiction is stories people write based on previous books they have read and movies or shows they have seen. That kinda sounds to me that since that is what fanfiction is, anyine writing it should be considered a plagarizer. Which they aren't.
Also, I was not trying to "tell" people what they should read. That is your own right and you can enjoy whatever book you desire. All I was saying was that it isn't fair to consider this a Mortal Instruments review if you are only discussing all the parts you hated in City of Bones.
Many of you made some other comments that I'm not going to go into, because I do not want this to become as long as my previous remark.
One thing I will say, rather rudely, is this: The girl that said, " If you had this much to say, right your own review..." There are several other MI review boards in which I give my opinion, and I am sorry that you cannot read all my wonderful opinions that I am sure you would enjoy, because I actually have a life. I hope that is a tough pill to swallow Darling.


Amanda Maddie wrote: "Sorry! i accidentally pressed submit!
Anyways, fanfiction is stories people write based on previous books they have read and movies or shows they have seen. That kinda sounds to me that since that ..."


Maddie, the fact it was fanfic doesn't make it plagiarism -- she copies entire paragraphs out of different books and dialogue from tv series, and did not credit the original authors, and inserted them into her fanfic -- and that is where all this "plagiarism" talk is coming from.

And as I've said, this isn't a review of TMI the series. Only a review of the first book in the series.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top