Melissa's Reviews > The Last Letter from Your Lover

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes

Aug 01, 12

Read in August, 2012

A heartbreaking love story of two people having chose different paths in life prior to meeting , who unintentionally fall in love with one another albeit in an adulterous manner. This story is one that brings up the question: What do you do when you realize you’ve gone down the wrong path in life? How far do you go when you truly love someone?

Overall, I loved the story. I had my issues with the plot because it was a love story rooted in an affair, which is never good. However, understanding the time period and the shame of divorce, you begin to understand Jennifer’s situation. Bottom line, a husband can divorce his wife but never the reverse. Her loveless marriage, a husband who didn’t respect her, didn’t love her, barely spoke to her, manipulated her, cheated on her, you begin to sympathize with her wanting to leave to be with her ‘Boot’. This is the story of a long journey filled with heartbreak and disappointment for two lovers whose only hopes were to find happiness with one another.
The story was very well written. Jojo Moyes cleverly let the story unfold in an intermittent order, in addition to having two separate time periods, each filled with characters of their own, and somehow combining the two stories at the end in a way that was still able to make sense. Great ending as well. 5 stars from me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Letter from Your Lover.