Lisa's Reviews > Providence

Providence by Jamie McGuire

Sep 19, 13

Read from August 01 to 03, 2012

I’m going to keep this review short and sweet.

description

Yup, just like that...short and sweet.

I did not really know what to expect going into this book. Sure, I loved Beautiful Disaster, but that was no guarantee that I would love this Jamie McGuire paranormal romance. Admittedly, Providence started off a little slow for me and it took me a little while to get into it. However, Jamie McGuire picked up the pace and by the end I was completely into the book.

I really did enjoy this story. I loved Jared! Was he a little stalkerish???? Perhaps. Ok, yes he was but I was not bothered by this. Call me crazy. I loved Travis from Beautiful Disaster after all! It took me some time to warm up to Nina and I am not sure I am quite there yet. We shall see if she redeems herself a little more in the other two books in this series.

What Jamie McGuire does extremely well is that she writes WONDERFUL romance. That was the best part of this book for me. I was swooning half the time with a lot of the scenes with Jared and Nina. Everything else may have fell a little short (like the paranormal elements to the story); however, the romance between Jared and Nina was most definitely sigh-worthy.

Overall, Providence is a great read that will make you want to know more. With that being said, I will be reading the other two books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Jamie McGuire
“I followed Jared outside and eyes the slick, black beauty parked on the curb. “What is that?” Jared sighed. “It’s a Vulcan.” “Weird. I thought it was a motorcycle.” I smiled, but Jared didn’t find the humor in my words. I put up my hand and separated my fingers into a ‘V’. “Live long and…no?” I shook my head, seeing that Jared was in no mood for jokes.”
Jamie McGuire, Providence

Jamie McGuire
“I could step aside, Nina. I could step aside and let you be with who you're supposed to be with. If I was any less selfish... I would. But even after all of my stupid mistakes, I still think I can make you happy.''
''If it's what you want, I'll step aside'', he shook his head, ''but if it's not... I'll fight fate. I'll fight Heaven, and Hell, and everything in between to keep you.”
Jamie McGuire, Providence

08/02/2012
10.0% "I'm liking this book so far! Yippee!"
08/02/2012
51.0% "Still liking this even though it a has Twilight feel to it." 3 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

Paula Let me know how you like the other two books. I am reluctant to read them, unless there some more 'substance'. I have to agree that JM is great with the romance...

Lisa Paula wrote: "Let me know how you like the other two books. I am reluctant to read them, unless there some more 'substance'. I have to agree that JM is great with the romance..."

I'll keep you posted. I liked Providence enough to continue the series. We shall see if it gets better. :)

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Good review Lisa! I'm hoping to get to this series soon.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus Good review. I love the pic! LOL

Lisa Thanks everyone.

AJ- I picked this up because I was in the mood for something "twilighty". It did not disappoint in that respect.

message 7: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Right, I'm all over it! Gotta come down from the high I'm still flying after Pushing the Limits first though. Next book will have to be a 'filler' to bring me back down to earth :)

Lisa AJ wrote: "Right, I'm all over it! Gotta come down from the high I'm still flying after Pushing the Limits first though. Next book will have to be a 'filler' to bring me back down to earth :)"

LOL! Love those filler books. I usually have to read them after a KA book. I'm thinking once I finish Pushing the Limits and the Providence series, I will start reading KA again!

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Same! Next KA for me is Breathe, but I'm leaving it until next weekend when I don't have to worry about work getting in the way of my precious reading time.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa AJ wrote: "Same! Next KA for me is Breathe, but I'm leaving it until next weekend when I don't have to worry about work getting in the way of my precious reading time."

Breathe is my fave KA book so far. LOVED IT!

Duchess Nicole Roses are red and shit...LMAO!!! Love it.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Duchess Nicole wrote: "Roses are red and shit...LMAO!!! Love it."

I cracked up when I first saw the pic too....had to use it! :0)

message 13: by Ivy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ivy G. I have to say this review hit the nail on the head, for me. It conveys everything I feel & the uncertainty I feel for Nina & her Character. I do find the beginning a bit snails pace to me but the romance & sexiness that Jared exudes makes up for it, in my opinion. Great Review !

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Ivy wrote: "I have to say this review hit the nail on the head, for me. It conveys everything I feel & the uncertainty I feel for Nina & her Character. I do find the beginning a bit snails pace to me but the r..."

Thanks Ivy! For me, the series got better as it went along. I really did enjoy it!

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ great review Lisa. i had wondered about this one!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "great review Lisa. i had wondered about this one!"

Thanks Sharon. This series was actually really good!

Crystal~BIG book addict~ LOL! Nice review Lisa!

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Crystal~just another book addict~ wrote: "LOL! Nice review Lisa!"

Thanks Crystal! ;)

Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤  Wonderful review Lisa :))

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Pavlina loves Derek ❤❤ wrote: "Wonderful review Lisa :))"

Thanks Pavlina! :)

message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Great review Lisa! I have this on my iPad waiting to read. So glad you enjoyed it!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review Lisa! <3

message 23: by Catarina (new)

Catarina Nice review, hon <3

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Catarina wrote: "Nice review, hon <3"

Ana RiTa wrote: "Great review Lisa! <3"

Jen wrote: "Great review Lisa! I have this on my iPad waiting to read. So glad you enjoyed it!"

Thanks ladies! :D

Christy Lovely review, Lisa! I enjoyed this series, too xoxo

message 26: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Thanks Christy! Yes, this series really surprised me at how great it was.

Missy  G. I've had this book forever and still have not read it. Thanks for the review, I think I'll have to dig this out and give it a go!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I've always wonder about Jamie McGuire's other books. I'll have to give them a try one of these days. Wonderful review, Lisa.

message 29: by Lisa Jayne (new)

Lisa Jayne How did I miss this review last year !! TUT shame on ME!!! Fandabbydocious review my lovely x

message 30: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Missy wrote: "I've had this book forever and still have not read it. Thanks for the review, I think I'll have to dig this out and give it a go!"

Thanks Missy. The series is quite good. I was pleasantly surprised! :)

message 31: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "I've always wonder about Jamie McGuire's other books. I'll have to give them a try one of these days. Wonderful review, Lisa."

Thanks Kristen. I read this series wanting to read more from Jamie McGuire and I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed it.

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Lisa Jayne wrote: "How did I miss this review last year !! TUT shame on ME!!! Fandabbydocious review my lovely x"

LOL! Thanks Lisa! :D