Irene's Reviews > Shutterbabe: Adventures in Love and War

Nov 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, photography
Read in December, 2008

The author wrote an autobiographical account of her short-but-intense career in war photojournalism. Her method in writing about each war/battle/military clash is told by way of who she was sleeping with at the time.

Overall, she tells a good story. What I did not like was her "Look what I went through in my life and I survived..." knowing that thousands of others have not. She discusses survivor guilt by "having bad dreams" and "feeling bad."

First of all, in discussing her escapes from many a scrape, she does admit that she put herself in those situations in the first place and has herself to blame for it. However, I think that her story would have been just as potent without the gory details of rapes and near rapes/assaults that she fell victim to.

She was a photojournalist in her twenties and made many of the dumb choices that so many other twenty-something women have made without having to add the danger of running around in war-zones. Having left my twenties behind, I breathe a sigh of relief that I now think before I make rash decisions. Deborah Copaken Kogan does too.

FYI: she does not really discuss the technological aspect of photography, nor does she discuss the principles of photography. She only talks about her Leica, ad nauseum, and does a bunch of name dropping of more famous photogs that she met along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutterbabe.