Sheree's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, own, read-in-2012, reviews
Read from August 09 to 11, 2012

Don't let the synopsis fool you this story has substance! Edgy, raw, realistic, bittersweet and above all ... hopeful.

I loved the alternating narration from Echo & Noah; they're messed up, both have a lot of heartache in their young lives but it's believable. I've seen tragedy, sadness and angst attach itself to friends and families like a leech so I really felt Echo and Noah's circumstances and connection was believable. Their stories are emotional, their pain is palpable and it's agonising watching Echo try to reclaim memories lost to a traumatic event; I wanted to give her a hug.

Most of Echo's so called friends abandon her as she struggles to rebuild her shattered life, but Lilah remains true. Noah's friends Isaiah and Beth are really likeable too, despite Beth's obnoxiousness, she's all tough exterior and protective but vulnerable none the less.

There's typical high school clique melodrama but the only thing that really bugged me - by the end of the story I was totally over Noah calling Echo 'baby' ... maybe it's just an 'age' thing but uggh it drove me mad. That aside they're really sweet together, meant for each other really.

McGarry excels with her exploration of relationships - Echo and Noah's relationship with clinical social worker, Mrs Collins, each other, friends and family members. Complex, multi-layered relationships explored in a way that pulls you in and makes you care.

A poignant debut that held my attention from start to finish - definitely an author to watch!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

08/09/2012 page 70