Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Iron Kissed

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Iron Kissed has made me even more of a fan of Patricia Briggs. This story takes off shortly after Blood Bound. Mercy and her friends are still recovering from dealing with the demon-possessed vampire, and the wave of violence that he inflicted on the Tri-Cities area. Do not be fooled into thinking that things will go back to normal for Mercy. The heat is on as the pressure to choose between two werewolves who want her as their mate: her former flame, Samuel and the sexy, powerful alpha of the Tri-Cities pack, Adam, gets explosive. Normally I hate love triangles, but Ms. Briggs handles this one so well, I was loving it. I could see how it was hard to choose between Samuel and Adam, because they both have a lot to offer a girl, although my heart already made the choice for her, and I was glad that Mercy made the same choice. I adore both Adam and Samuel, for different reasons. They are both tough and powerful men, with a primal edge that I just adore. Adam is protective but he knows that Mercy is always going to be her own woman, and works hard to give her space, even though his urge to claim her is increasingly hard to control. Although he is dominant and formidable in his own right, Samuel is more touchy feely and does sweet things like cooks for Mercy and provides her with the feelings of home and hearth that she sometimes misses from being part of Bran’s pack long ago. I enjoyed the flirtations she had with both guys, and I didn’t feel like she was stringing them along. It was clear how hard it was to choose one man, and possibly lose the other. Ms. Briggs balanced the tension beautifully in this book.

On top of emotional/relationship aspects, is the mystery about who is killing Fae at the Walla Walla faerie reservation. I love reading about the Fae, and this book didn’t disappoint me. Ms. Briggs captures the ruthless/dangerous aspects of these creatures, but also the allure and the otherworldly appeal awesomely. Mercy is in serious danger in this book, and there are some moments that are intense and very heartbreaking, as Mercy puts herself in jeopardy to save her friend Zee from being framed for the murder of a bigoted, anti-Fae guard who worked at the reservation.

Ms. Briggs is my favorite fantasy author, and this book only solidifies her place in my keeper shelves. She writes urban fantasy with a light, subtle touch, her narrative sparing but rich at the same time. She has all the human elements that make an urban fantasy book call to this reader. Yet she also gives a reader the magic and the preternatural creatures that make fantasy one of my favorite genres. I loved her wolves from book one, and this book makes me love them more. Adam is just awesome, but Samuel is delicious and adorable too. And the rest of the pack and their dynamics stands out beautifully, especially Ben. I loved how Ben was able to talk to Adam and Mercy and help them through the horrible situation the potential mates found themselves facing in this novel.

This book was just fantastic. In fact, I feel the urge to read it again already, although my tbr pile is calling me to other books. I’m so glad that I have the rest of the books to come back to when I get my reading schedule under control. Ms. Briggs, I want to shake your hand. You know how to write an enthralling book for fantasy lovers, and you proved it with Iron Kissed.

Casting Choices:

Julia Jones as Mercy Thompson:
julia jones Pictures, Images and Photos

Christian Bale as Adam Hauptman:
so good in a suit Pictures, Images and Photos

Wentworth Miller as Samuel Cornick:
Wentworth Miller Pictures, Images and Photos

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Kissed.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Patricia Briggs
“Some people are boys longer than others.”
tags: boys, men

Patricia Briggs
“Some people are like Slinkies.They aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.”

Patricia Briggs
“The warmth of his body shouldn’t have felt good. He was angry and every muscle was tense. It was like being leaned on by a very heavy, warm brick. A sexy brick.”

Patricia Briggs
“It's only fair to warn you that you sealed your fate tonight. When you knew you were in trouble, you came to me. That makes twice, Mercy, and twice is almost as good as a declaration. You are mine now.... Ben says you might run. If you do, I will find you and bring you back. Every time you run, Mercy. I won't force you, but. .. No more excuses, Mercy. You are mine, and I am keeping you.”

Patricia Briggs
“A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned,” I murmured.
Warren—who had once, a long time ago, been a cowboy—snickered and wiggled his bare feet. “It could be the beginning of either a bad joke or a horror story.”
“No,” said Kyle, the lawyer, whose head was propped up on my thigh. “If you want a horror story, you have to start out with a werewolf, his gorgeous lover, and a walker.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB Great review Danielle! Glad you enjoyed it too.

Theresa Love the review! Ironed Kissed has got to be my favorite of the Mercy Thomson series. Until this book I didn't know Briggs had it in her to write about something dark and real for women and write it well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Theresa. I thought she handled the situation very well.

SheLove2Read I never considered Christian Bale but he would definitely fit!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I couldn't figure out who my Adam was, and it suddenly occurred to me!

message 7: by Lucie (new)

Lucie "a heart so wild" Wow Great review Lady Danielle...ooh a new author again for me...hehe...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Lucie. Patricia Briggs is awesome!

message 9: by Lucie (new)

Lucie "a heart so wild" I will surely try to find out Lady Danielle...where should I start for her? ^_^

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Moon Called is the first book in the Mercy Thompson series. It's the first book I read by her.

message 11: by Lucie (new)

Lucie "a heart so wild" Oh Well, thanks Lady Danielle...I'll remember this!

message 13: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Solomon yes, love her books! She's my favorite right after Ilona Andrews. Interesting ideas for casting, I could see that , although in my head I had different actors they were very similar to your picks! You know, why don't they make movies from adult supernatural novels rather than all these teen ones (twilight, beastly etc). Half the people who see them are adults anyway and I'm sure if you make the cast hot enough, teens will go see them even if the actors are in their thirties!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I would love to see Mercy Thompson/Ilona Andrews movies, as long as they were done and casted well!
As for casting ideas, the actors sort of came to me for the traits they show.

Shayantani Das Awesome casting choice Danielle!

Stephanie This is my next read. I like your review. Nice choice of actors to if ever made into a movie.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Aug 13, 2013 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Stephanie. I see you gave it five stars as well!

Stephanie Read the whole series, loved it. Waiting for the next one to come out next year. Might do a reread.