Nia Forrester's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favorites

My father brought this book home one day when I was visiting from college. It is quite the tome. I can't remember how many pages, but I would wager it's well past 800. And despite that, I was hooked from beginning to end, and absolutely heartbroken when it did in fact end. It is the epic story of a mother's quest in India to find "a suitable boy" for her headstrong and independent minded daughter to marry. The daughter is torn between passion and duty, embodied in two very different suitors. The story is her personal journey to decide between these two very different fates, but it also the story of a certain time in India's history; a time of transition that is rich and colorful and textured and so, so riveting. But still, this book is not for the feint of heart. When you pick up 'A Suitable Boy' you are making a commitment to submerge yourself in this world for quite some time. It is not a beach vacation read, it is a trip-across-a continent-through-places-without-television- type-of-read. And if that doesn't sound like a good thing to you, don't bother.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.