Jillian Eaton's Reviews > Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Aug 01, 2012

bookshelves: angels, good-ensemble-cast, interesting-characters, not-sure-how-i-feel-about-this-one, will-read-second-book, young-adult
Read from August 01 to 06, 2012

Sweet Evil is about a goody two-shoes named Anna. Anna doesn't drink, curse, or yell at her mother. She obeys her curfew, is nice to everyone, and keeps a low profile at high school along with her best friend Jay. What makes Anna different is that she can sense see people's emotions in the form of colors. If someone is feeling jealous, they get a green shimmery cloud thing. Love = pink, lust = red, depression = gray, etc. etc. Anna also has extremely heightened senses of hearing and touch. She doesn't tell anyone about these abilities, and no one asks -- including her mother, which she never seems to find as strange.

Anyways, Anna goes to a concert with Jay, meets a strange drummer, and the rest sort of unfolds from there. I say sort of because I still am not sure what the actual plot of the book was. Anna finding out what she is? Anna crushing on a cute mysterious boy? Anna meeting her father? Anna (view spoiler).

Don't get me wrong. I really did enjoy Sweet Evil. It was one of those books that I finished in two days because I just couldn't get myself to stop reading. It was fast paced, and the second half (with the exception of the ending) was much better than the first. That being said, the one thing I couldn't wrap my head around and which really annoyed the bejeesus out of me was the whole drug thing.

(view spoiler)

Overall, Sweet Evil was an entertaining read that I would recommend. I'm looking forward to the sequel, mainly because I'm hoping that Anna and her gang of nephs will actually DO something. Even though it may sound like I didn't like this book, and some parts definitely made me say "huh?!", any book that keeps my up reading until I get to the end always deserves four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Evil.

08/01/2012 "Haven't read a knock-my-socks-off YA novel in a while... Here's hoping Sweet Evil does the job! The cover certainly is pretty."
08/03/2012
15.0% "I must have missed something... Because Anna <spoiler> can't really think it's okay that Scott slipped her ecstasy... </spoiler> right?" 1 comment
08/04/2012
42.0% "I read this book before bed, intending only to go through a few pages... Meanwhile, five chapters later..." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…