A.M.'s Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Oct 14, 12

bookshelves: i-own
Read from August 06 to October 14, 2012

Martin has written a sprawling massive book and it is just that, sprawling and massive. There are now so many families, plot points, houses, separate wars going on and so many new kingdoms, people, slave nations … you get the point… I’m lost.
It took me ages to read this book. I FORCED myself to finish a pov or two each night. And it was painful. With so many characters, there are obviously, less and less pages for each reader’s favourite characters. But honestly, some got one pov; maybe two in the whole thousand pages. And in one of those, one character runs in, says a sentence that involves two other main characters and runs out again. And that was it for that character. One line in a thousand pages. WTF?
Winter finally comes… was that a spoiler? Lmao … by all the gods it has taken long enough to arrive.
I am not sure who is really dead, who isn’t, who has come back from the dead, who (he just killed) and whether they are *really* dead. I am honestly reaching a point where I expect every character that had fallen and died during the books to leap to their feet and come alive again, like the whole cast of a theatre troupe.
“No, he’s not dead. We hid him and raised him as the true king.”
“No, she’s not dead. She has blue eyes and walks as a member of the undead.”
And so on… I suppose, after investing all this time, I will read the next book. But I really can’t see how it will all wind up; at least, not with less than another five books. Sigh.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

Quotes A.M. Liked

George R.R. Martin
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

08/06/2012 page 31
09/04/2012 page 265
24.0% "Finding this one hard going."
09/19/2012 page 420
37.0% "Chewing it down. Annoyed by people who are dead but really aren't, people who ought to be dead and aren't, and others who keep doing dumb things. Want to skip parts, but this is Martin... one line could matter. Sigh"
10/09/2012 page 663