Travis's Reviews > The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows

The Best of Robert E. Howard by Robert E. Howard

M 50x66
Dec 16, 2008

bookshelves: sf-fantasy, classics, manly-literature

Gods, the sheer manly power of these stories is like a punch between the eyes!
Howard makes ancient battles come alive, populates his worlds with strong men of honor and surprise you with some bits of quite clever humor.

Howard was one of the guys that created the sword and sorcery genre and even now, 60 years later is still one of the best. These are pure, undiluted adventure stories and they make no pretense at trying to be anything else.

I was surprised by several stories that were in more 'modern' settings and how well Howard did those too. Would have been interesting to see him do more with the western or PI genres of the pulps.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Robert E. Howard.

message 1: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Harbin I think if he'd lived, we'd have seen more westerns and "regional writing" set in the southwest. He wrote in a letter that he hated the "PI" / detective genre, so he probably wouldn't have written much in that vein. Which is a sad thought to me, because I think his "Rogues in the House" (a Conan story) is one of the most "hard boiled" stories I've ever read. Anyway, good review!

Travis Yeah, I could see Howard moving on to westerns and making that his main focus.
The few of his letters and stuff I'd read it seemed that he had a real love of/interest in western lore.

And yeah, while he did very few PI stories, several of his historical and fantasy stories have a very noir feel to them.