Michelle's Reviews > The Kingmaker's Daughter

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: forpleasure, forreview, historicalfiction, favorite-2012, big-book-2012
Read in August, 2012

There is something about Philippa Gregory's writing that is enthralling. This story was told from Anne Neville's point of view and I found it fascinating, especially since the last book I'd read by this author was The Lady of the Rivers. I love it when a series takes on different perspectives so you get a more well-rounded view of all sides.

I felt sorry for the Neville girls. How awful to be used for gain and raised to marry and solely to increase one's wealth. I think the author did a great job at making the girls female versions of their father. He thought he was doing the right thing, but switching sides is not the best way to achieve an end. There were so many needless deaths over the throne and to protect one's right to reign that it was appalling. I can't imagine living in constant fear like that.

Anne's mother was perfectly hateful, too. She did not act like she cared for her daughters at all, but merely had her own interests at heart. I felt especially bad for Isabel when she was pregnant the first time. I found the doubt that her mother put in Anne's head about her husband quite sad, and then when things got convoluted in his relationship with his niece, well, let's just say ick to that. I pitied Anne because she felt the desire to give up at such a young age. But after so many needless losses on so many fronts, I don't blame her for wanting to go to sleep and never wake again.

I found the whole belief regarding the Woodville's controlling men through witchcraft quite fascinating, but I can see where things that cannot be explained would be concluded that way. There were a lot of needless deaths over this as well. So much treachery and loss. Anyway, I love this series because it makes me think and the most profound conclusion of all was that the very thing Anne wanted most of her life seemed hollow in the end without love. Isn't that the truth? Great story. I read it quickly and it's over 400 pages long. That's a great novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingmaker's Daughter.

08/01/2012 page 31
7.0% 2 comments
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary This is another novel on my to be read list. If only there were more hours in the day.

Michelle Rosemary wrote: "This is another novel on my to be read list. If only there were more hours in the day."

It was hard to put down because it kept building and you knew that people were going to die from history.

message 3: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Sometimes, when I know a historical personality is going to die I choose not to read a book. For example there have been so many novels about Anne Bolyn that I've lost interest. However, Phillipa Gregory was very intelligent to write about The Other Bolyn Girl, which I enjoyed. It was a relief when Mary Bolyn's life had a happy ending.

Michelle This book wasn't depressing if that helps.

message 5: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Lopez Does this book have witchcraft in it?

Michelle Not that I recall. It was believed that they used witchcraft because men were so smitten with them it couldn't be natural so they thought these women put the men under a spell.