Jaimey's Reviews > Violet

Violet by Leigh Greenwood

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: romance-western, keepers, 10-fav-romance-western, reviewed
Read in October, 2004, read count: 2-3

I was pleasantly surprised by how well I liked this book. It's right up there with Laurel in my favorite books.

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to reading this particular brother's story. Jeff was so unpleasant in the previous books of this series that I wondered how on earth Leigh Greenwood would manage to make a hero out of him. Well, I think Leigh succeeded. Jeff comes across as the tortured hero all right, but his actions speak more for habit than anything else—a fact pointed out by Violet on more than one occasion. I have to say that his constant hang-ups about "Yankees" got rather annoying but he did finally see the light, so I'll let it go.

Violet was far more likable than I was expecting. Perhaps it was the fact that she was a little older than most heroines in romances today, but she seemed far more sensible and level-headed. Not that she didn't have spirit or a temper; she just knew how to control herself. I really liked her. :)

My biggest complaint has to be the tiny, and I mean tiny, part of the story that dealt with Violet's uncle's silver mine claim. It felt like it was added as an afterthought, almost as if the publishers didn't think there was enough suspense in this story. I think it would have been a wonderful story without it. But, that's just my opinion. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violet.